Thread: Disaster - Trying to stop the propoise....

WriedtStuff
    Well,
    I don't really know what happend but I siezed my motor. I jacked the motor some more and had good water pressure. I made several runs and on the last one, I started loosing RPMs and it quit...I looked back at the motor and there was smoke coming out of the cowl and a bacon frying sizzling noise. It was siezed.
    So I paddled back to the ramp and got it on the trailer, I let it sit overnight and it came loose and will spin over now. I have not tried to fire it up...figured that would add insult to injury. I took the cowl off and the heads and cylinders on the Starboard side have the paint all scorched. The port size also looks like it got hot but not as bad as the starboard.
    What should I do now? I know a rebuild is in order, but should I do a compression check before I tear it down?
    I was told this is a chrome bore motor, is that good or bad?

STV_Keith
    I'd start with a compression test, then pull the heads and see what it looks like inside. If you had good water pressure, you might have an obstruction in the block somewhere. Do you have a water temp gauge? Was water coming out of the tell-tale (pisser)?
    If it's a chrome bore and you have cut through the chrome (broke ring, etc), then you will either have to have it re chromed or go to a steel sleeve. Otherwise, if it's just been smeared with alum, you can hone that out.

Tom Brown
    I've seen engines heat seized that were re-started after cool-down and they are still running just fine.
    It's not good, but I wouldn't rebuild it unless I had to, were I you. The compression test is a good idea but even if you have a low hole or two, I'd run it for a while and see what happens.
    Oh yes.... one more thing.... maybe..... just maybe.... do you suppose it's time for a water pressure gauge? Do you need a few minutes to think about the $30 expense of the gauge versus blowing up your engine?

Kachina26
    Well,
    I jacked the motor some more and had good water pressure.
    Oh yes.... one more thing.... maybe..... just maybe.... do you suppose it's time for a water pressure gauge? Do you need a few minutes to think about the $30 expense of the gauge versus blowing up your engine?
    I'm guessing he has one. I'm so disappointed in you Tom, you really dropped the ball on this one.

Tom Brown
    I'm so disappointed in you Tom, you really dropped the ball on this one.
    I noticed the 'good water pressure' comment but his engine over heated so something isn't adding up.

STV_Keith
    I noticed the 'good water pressure' comment but his engine over heated so something isn't adding up.
    Water pressure is great, but if there is an obstruction in the block somewhere, that water may not be getting to where it's supposed to. :idea:

WriedtStuff
    Yea, I do have a WP gauge, and it was pegged....30+ PSI. But I was not looking at it the moment it siezed....but I know I had good pressure on all the previous runs.
    Maybe I lost the water pump?
    I tried to get it restarted...it does not spin like it did before. Slower spin and not even, kinda um ump. um ump, um ump. I does fire with a very short pop and then the starter disengages and spins free. So I have to wait on the starter to stop and hit it again, and it pops once again and disengages again.
    IF I do have to re-build this powerhead, can I make it faster or more HP than 175? Can I put a 200HP powerhead on my mid-section?
    My engine is a 86 vintage, Mariner 175HP.

Tom Brown
    Yea, I do have a WP gauge, and it was pegged....30+ PSI.
    Holy cow. I think Keith is on this. You must have a blockage. That is way too much unless your spinning crazy RPM or going really fast with a LWP gear case.
    Maybe I lost the water pump?
    Then where did the 30 PSI come from?
    I tried to get it restarted...it does not spin like it did before. Slower spin and not even, kinda um ump. um ump, um ump. I does fire with a very short pop and then the starter disengages and spins free. So I have to wait on the starter to stop and hit it again, and it pops once again and disengages again.
    It sounds like you've got some Al built up in there. Tear down and acid.
    IF I do have to re-build this powerhead, can I make it faster or more HP than 175? Can I put a 200HP powerhead on my mid-section?
    Forget hotrodding your engine. Most who've done it and say they've achieved great things, are full of shit.
    Sure, improvements can be made and a few people can do great things but it's a lot of effort to put into a 20 year old 2.0 liter with limited potential. Much of the Internet mythology regarding improving 2 stroke performance is garbage and a lot of it, will actually slow you down, despite un-dynoed claims of huge increases.
    Can I put a 200HP powerhead on my mid-section?
    Yes
    My engine is a 86 vintage, Mariner 175HP.
    Get yourself a 2.5/200 or 2.5/225 and don't look back. You'll have to fab up an upper cowl bracket if you want to keep the same cowl but that's not tough to do.

WriedtStuff
    Is it possible the the water pump inpeller just gave up quickly, and I had 30psi at on point and none shortly there after?
    Anyone got a power head they want to sell?