Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American Made

Kachina26
    Well Baja, if I didn't make my point , Max certainly schooled ya. Well put Max
    Here Baja, no need to reply, I'll do it for ya.
    ??????

RiverDave
    I am really suprised that there was but one response,HBers must have alot of foreign autos in the driveway. I am a GM and a Ford owner and always will be. And I NEVER go into a Walmart. I forgot to mention that 1 in 8 jobs in the US are tied to the US auto industry is yours?This is the USA and you do have a choice , but someday your choice will be with or without syrup when you eat your foreign car.
    I got a Rincoln, Ford, and a Cadillac... So I guess I should be happy that I supported the U.S.
    Problem is, that dissertation written above, I don't believe is accurate.. Point in fact I'm pretty sure it's 180 degrees backwards. I used to have a chart of different cars and where the parts where mfg'd, and assembled.. Toyota and Honda were both more American then Ford and Chevy (in some cases)..
    RD

baja 232
    Well Baja, if I didn't make my point , Max certainly schooled ya. Well put Max
    Here Baja, no need to reply, I'll do it for ya.
    ??????
    Schooled..NO . But this post did do what I wanted and that was to get a response,good,bad or indifferent. "1 Million GM jobs isn't going to collapse America" this comment maybe true but I don't beleive that it won't cripple many things,even life in Normal indiana.

maxwedge
    Schooled..NO . But this post did do what I wanted and that was to get a response,good,bad or indifferent. "1 Million GM jobs isn't going to collapse America" this comment maybe true but I don't beleive that it won't cripple many things,even life in Normal indiana.
    Hey that's Illinois, dammitt! It's the pointy looking state wedged in there right between Indiana, and Mssouri. It is kinda similar looking, very flat, lots of corn, not enough lakes, colder than shit, kinda like Indiana, but has diffenent name and abreviation (IL) none the less. Here's a snippit from the local paper today. Looks like we are in deep shit.
    Census: Normal passes 50,000
    By Mary Ann Ford
    mford@pantagraph
    Advertisement
    NORMAL - The town officially now has more than 50,000 residents for the first time in its history.
    The town has grown by nearly 5,100 people since the 2000 Census, a boost that will bring about $565,000 more to town coffers each year.
    Results from a special census conducted this fall and released Wednesday take the town's population to 50,485. The 2000 Census reported 45,386 people living in Normal.
    "Obviously we're very pleased with the results," said City Manager Mark Peterson. "The population total exceeds what we projected."
    Originally, town officials estimated a 3,000 to 4,000 increase beyond the 2000 Census.
    Sweetening the deal, the amount the town receives from population-based state revenue sources has increased since the town decided to request a special census, said administrative analyst Geoff Fruin.
    Normal received about $90 per person from three population-based state revenue sources in 2004. The state's economy has rebounded, however, so Fruin said that amount is now up to $111 per person. The extra 5,099 people recorded in the special census will bring Normal an additional $565,989 each year.
    Fruin expects the extra money will start in January.
    "The additional money will help the City Council continue to keep the property tax rate as low as possible," said finance director Ron Hill.
    Like all municipalities, the town has seen increased costs, especially in capital projects such as road improvements, Hill said.
    "A growing community also requires additional staff to continue to meet the needs of the residents," Hill said.
    Peterson said the purpose of the special census was to take advantage of revenue available to town.
    "It's clearly proven to be a benefit," he said.
    Normal paid $123,445 for the special census that targeted subdivisions that hadn't been built when the 2000 Census was conducted. Census takers knocked on doors at College Station, Heartland Ridge, Parkwest, Wintergreen, Pheasant Ridge, Collie Ridge, Pinehurst, Pines, Beechwood Commons, Linden Place, Savannah Green, North Fields, Heather Ridge, North Bridge, Oaks on Hovey, The Fields II, Eagles Landing and the Enclaves at Eagle's Landing from mid-August to mid-September.
    The town was required to pay census-takers salaries and provide an office for workers.
    Bloomington also is planning a special census. It is expected to begin in February. Officials believe the city's population may have increased by about 7,800 people since the 2000 Census. Such an increase would generate another $700,000 a year for Bloomington.
    Normal's population growth through the years
    Year Population Percent of Growth
    1920 5,143 27.81
    1930 6,768 31.60
    1940 6,983 3.18
    1950 9,772 39.94
    1960 13,357 36.69
    1970 26,396 97.62
    1980 35,672 35.14
    1990 40,023 12.20
    1997* 42,219 5.49
    2000 45,386 7.50
    2005* 50,485 11.23

Old Texan
    Mr. Baja, I think the point you are missing in all this is the adaptability of the American citizen and worker and the general view and belief in Capitalism in this country.
    In my lifetime I have witnessed downturns in the automobile industry, the oil industry, the chemical industry and the textile industry. In each case there was a loss of jobs, plants closing, and people relocating. Most picked themselves up, reeducated themselves and found successful employment in newer and/or upgraded industries. And were better for it.
    New startups and small business ventures are at an all time high. The US economy is growing.
    The general attitude on HB is upbeat for a reason, the majority here are successful self sufficent people that use their brains and abilities to live a nice comfortable life.
    Cheer up and realize the only problem we are facing (outside of the war and other serious issues) is it's too damn cold to be doing what we all hold dear, going out on the boat this weekend. :rollside:

HammerDown
    Few months ago I purchased my 1'st foreign (name plate) vehicle...Toyota. From all the research/feedback I received, I bought it for the fuel mileage/reliability.
    I just have very little pride in owning it. Unlike my other American (name plate) vehicles such as Harley, Ford and GM. And YES I know some are built and use parts made outside of our Country.

Sane Asylum
    Few months ago I purchased my 1'st foreign (name plate) vehicle...Toyota. From all the research/feedback I received, I bought it for the fuel mileage/reliability.
    I just have very little pride in owning it. Unlike my other American (name plate) vehicles such as Harley, Ford and GM. And YES I know some are built and use parts made outside of our Country.
    I feel bad for you too hammer............Sell the toyoyo to me for half of what you paid and it will make you feel much better........
    Glad i could be here to help......

spectratoad
    My 17 yo son has a job at a grocer, luckily the union is there to make sure he gets minimum wage
    I thought that federal law did that????

desertbird
    As a GM Kid, I have real mixed emotions. My daddy put 17 years into Van Nuys before GM decided to send the Camaro and Trans-Am somewhere else. He was forced to move, but not until after milking the union for a few years with 80% paychecks while he "looked" for work. Lucky enough the three kids were all in late teens, and them divorced, else we would have been in REAL bad shape.
    Many years later the tides have changed. While I enjoy a discounted rate on my GMAC mortgage, my GMAC insurance, and I am buying a new truck with GMS pricing (truck made in Canada, by the way) I still can't help but think the unions have done this to themselves.
    Obviously the union ensured my family was better off than our neighbors in the same community, and it is disgraceful for me to think that pop made more than he should. I get help but get these opinions from the management position I'm in now, and realizing what we pay our factory workers.
    A few posts above, the $12.30 wage was mentioned in IL. That kinda wage doesn't even pay the rent in California, let alone fund a boat. Meanwhile, there were folks making $20.00/hour in 1985 on the assembly line in Van Nuys.
    ......and we think 48K for a pickup truck is outrageous?
    Now retired, he has a rather miserable pension, but it's a pension nonetheless. His roof don't leak, his fridge is full, and the dog gets a treat every now and then. With nothing else but his pension going for him, I just can't imagine where he'd be today. It's so unfortunate that many Retirees forget that the reason their paychecks were so big for so many years was "mandatory overtime" with 10 hour days and Saturdays.

desertbird
    The general attitude on HB is upbeat for a reason, the majority here are successful self sufficent people that use their brains and abilities to live a nice comfortable life.
    Cheer up and realize the only problem we are facing (outside of the war and other serious issues) is it's too damn cold to be doing what we all hold dear, going out on the boat this weekend. :rollside:
    AMEN BROTHER!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast