Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: gullwing owners runnin over 90+, shoe depth???

IMPATIENT 1
    what are you guys runnin for shoe depth on your gullwings? runnin a taper or backcut?
    i went and ran my condor tx-19 hard sat. and at 93gps it cavitates and just slips. i thought the shoe was level with the keel, but i checked it today and its 1/8 above keel i musta been tipsy when i checked it anyways, do i need to drop it down to 1/8 below keel or just make a shim to get it level???i've got enough plate to build the shims, but i'd like to know where to start.
    at @91mph its runnin almost 6700 then it climbs fast to almost 6900rpms , cavitates, bangs out on the limiter.i know this thing will do 100+ if i can keep it hooked up. my loader seems to be working great, its @1/8 below keel. appreciate any info, tom.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    How is it at shutdown????????? Does it dig the nose? Does it turn right or left? Thats one of the main things that you need to find out when testing with those kinds of speeds. You will get 50% of the peeps that run a backcut and the other 50% run tapered hardware. 1/8 above keel is rule of thumb to start. You should drill and tap your suction for a guage. That will get you a better idea where you need to be Im glad to hear that you finally got her out there You did a hell of a job on that boat.....

Squirtin Thunder
    Move the shoe down slowly, you don't want to go too far. Your RPMs may drop and speed will pick up. Watch it on shut down. Light breaks are good, hard breaks with a twist is bad.

IMPATIENT 1
    How is it at shutdown????????? Does it dig the nose? Does it turn right or left? Thats one of the main things that you need to find out when testing with those kinds of speeds. You will get 50% of the peeps that run a backcut and the other 50% run tapered hardware. 1/8 above keel is rule of thumb to start. You should drill and tap your suction for a guage. That will get you a better idea where you need to be Im glad to hear that you finally got her out there You did a hell of a job on that boat.....
    i appreciate that mike! i wish it was as pimp clean as yours but i'll get it to that point someday(i hope).
    i did drill and tap both places on the intake when i went thru the pump. stuck plugs in it to work on that this winter time. i wanna make a transom plate so i can get the bowl off easy and was gonna run the lines to some gauges then. the shut down is almost dead straight which lead me to think i didn't have enough shoe to begin with. i thought i had checked it over the winter but i think i checked the loader depth instead and confused the 2. i'll try getting it level with keel and find a nice open cove, see how it reacts to it.some guys here local are tellin me to drop it to 1/8 below but without a jetaway, i think it'll pitch me at some point there.

Squirtin Thunder
    It is safer to go a little at a time. And a bit more testing so more fun.

IMPATIENT 1
    It is safer to go a little at a time. And a bit more testing so more fun.
    i will jim, gonna drop it to level, play with it this weekend and see what it does. i know its kinda stupid not to adjust shoe by the intake pressure but i don't need every mph i can get this yr., just keep it from cavitating for now will do for me with a decent shutdown.gonna pull the shoe and build a shim tues nite, maybe go out sat. and play alittle.

camoman
    Go slow if you start adding shims like 030 slow:idea: You will know when you went past the comfort zone when you get out of her

Squirtin Thunder
    I have some testing to do this week as well as my daughter. I am putting the Dom on and see what I can get out of it. I am working on my new shoe and rideplate also. I well be dropping it an 1/8, right now the breaks are OK but hoping for a bit more, ie drive in deeper into the corners.

Your loader is stealing water from the shoe, being an 1/4 inch lower than the shoe.

IMPATIENT 1
    Your loader is stealing water from the shoe, being an 1/4 inch lower than the shoe.
    ya know, that makes alot of sense!!and it is lower than the shoe.i'll try shimming down alittle 1st then before i go to much more, trim the loader.
    what's the rule of thumb as far as loader to shoe depths? just boat to boat or has a pattern formed?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast