Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is drunk?

Tom Brown
    For any of you who haven't been around a while and think these discussions about drinking are pretty out of hand, think again. We've had far more intense discussions than this.
    I wonder how much research went into the .08 figure that seems to be the predominant legal definition here in North America. I assume a lot.
    I know some alcoholics who can really knock back the booze and still seem pretty normal. Still, handle it as they may, I wouldn't want a good liquor holding alchy driving me around LA at 0.12. He might seem normal as hell and function better than the average guy and even drive well in that state, but I wouldn't trust his judgement in a squeeze.
    .... so what level of impairment is acceptable? Surely, .00 is rubbish. If alcohol is that bad, perhaps it should be prohibited outright.

Ultracrazy
    For any of you who haven't been around a while and think these discussions about drinking are pretty out of hand, think again. We've had far more intense discussions than this.
    I wonder how much research went into the .08 figure that seems to be the predominant legal definition here in North America. I assume a lot.
    I know some alcoholics who can really knock back the booze and still seem pretty normal. Still, handle it as they may, I wouldn't want a good liquor holding alchy driving me around LA at 0.12. He might seem normal as hell and function better than the average guy and even drive well in that state, but I wouldn't trust his judgement in a squeeze.
    .... so what level of impairment is acceptable? Surely, .00 is rubbish. If alcohol is that bad, perhaps it should be prohibited outright.
    The question should be what is impaired.

Tom Brown
    Perhaps. That's not how I see it, however.
    The question, perhaps better phrased, would be, "what level of impairment is drunk?"

Mattman
    I have arrested numerous alcoholics with B.A.C.'s in the high two's. The last good one that comes to mind is a .28 on the breath. Also submitted to blood which came back higher (which is normally the case) at a .29. Walked, talked and acted like the everyday Joe. Told me his problem is so bad that he has to medicate (alcohol) every morning just to function on a daily basis.

Ultracrazy
    Perhaps. That's not how I see it, however.
    The question, perhaps better phrased, would be, "what level of impairment is drunk?"
    True dat

Riomouse911
    The NTSB did studies for years, and these studies found that the .08% figure is the point where the vast majority of adults lose the ability to multi-task... steer, observe, comprehend, maintain speed etc...That's a big reason why the Feds made that the standard across the country, and most (if not all) States abide by it.. (I think they lose highway funds, so they had little choice)
    I've seen people lose motor function at an .04% (rookie drinker falling all over herself) and I have had a decent conversation with a guy who was a .44% / .43% on the breathalyzer.
    In closing, being a slobbering drunk takes different folks different amounts of booze, but losing the fine motor control and ability to do more things at once (like driving) usually begins to seriously decline for most folks at .08.

HavaSkank
    Drunk, by definition, is waking up with a shaved head in a dumpster behind Taco Bell next to Danny Bonaduce wearing your panties as a party hat.

Boatcop
    Substantial testing and research has been done on this subect. The follwoing is a breakdown of that testing/research
    Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC)
    Typical Effects Predictable Effects on Driving
    .02%
    Some loss of judgment
    Relaxation
    Slight body warmth
    Altered mood
    Decline in visual functions (rapid tracking of a moving target)
    Decline in ability to perform two tasks at the same time (divided attention)
    .05%
    Exaggerated behavior
    May have loss of small-muscle control (e.g., focusing your eyes)
    Impaired judgment
    Usually good feeling
    Lowered alertness
    Release of inhibition
    Reduced coordination
    Reduced ability to track moving objects
    Difficulty steering
    Reduced response to emergency driving situations
    .08%
    Muscle coordination becomes poor (e.g., balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing)
    Harder to detect danger
    Judgment, self-control, reasoning, and memory are impaired
    Concentration
    Short-term memory loss
    Speed control
    Reduced information processing capability (e.g., signal detection, visual search)
    Impaired perception
    .10%
    Clear deterioration of reaction time and control
    Slurred speech, poor coordination, and slowed thinking
    Reduced ability to maintain lane position and brake appropriately
    .15%
    Far less muscle control than normal
    Vomiting may occur (unless this level is reached slowly or a person has developed a tolerance for alcohol)
    Major loss of balance
    Substantial impairment in vehicle control, attention to driving task, and in necessary visual and auditory information processing
    Information in this table shows the BAC level at which the effect usually is first observed, and has been gathered from a variety of sources including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the American Medical Association, the National Commission Against Drunk Driving, and www.webMD.com.
    The above are the physiological factors. These are the legal factors:
    Commercial Drivers, boat operators, and all airplane pilots:
    .04%
    Legally presumed impaired
    Can suffer the loss of their commercial status or Pilot license
    Non-Commercial Drivers / Boat Operators
    .00 - <.05%
    Legally presumed Not Impaired
    .05%-<.08%
    No legal presumption of impairment or non impairment. Can be found impaired based on other substantive tests. (driving pattern, balance, reation to divided attention tests)
    .08% and above
    Legally presumed Impaired

blown65
    Mythbusters did a segment on this once. That show may not be the most accurate but some of its findings were quite interesting.

Napanutt
    It's not what you blow the night before.
    I don't think people realize that the hang-over the next morning,you still have alcohol content (higher then most people realize) blowing from your lungs...
    I work with a very normal (alky I guess) guy, shows up everyday for 8 years blah,blah,blah...
    Blew a .18 at 11 in the morning...from the night before.
    If you're curious,buy a breathalyzer...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast