Thread: Pioneer iPod support is gross

Tom Brown
    I've never seen a bigger piece of shit. It's so bad, it doesn't work.
    Sure, you can bring the iPod up on the deck and you can flip through the songs... at a rate of one every 3 seconds.... That would let me flip through a couple of albums per minute. How many songs does Pioneer think I have on my 80 GB iPod? It's like a bad joke.
    I found a hack for the CD-IB100 that releases the deck control and moves the interface back to the iPod. That would be great since I've never seen another interface, computer or audio specific, that would allow me to find any single song among 18000 in about 5 seconds.

Cheap Thrills
    Apple Ipod hmmm now there's something I have absolutely zero knowledge about.
    Hell I'm still trying to figure out how to rewind my 8 tracks so I can listen to them again.
    You would think that the stereo interfaces for those things would have a scrollable M3U type playlist like Winamp.
    Good Luck with it..
    T.

HitIt
    I totally agree. I cant believe they would release something that chitty. Glad you found the hack. One of Pioneers new head units has native USB support. You can use an iPod, mem stick, etc. Its the DEH-P6900UB (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...818745,00.html).
    It provides a smokin fast interface for the iPod. I put one in my boat about a month ago. One of my friends with the same setup you have was pissed when he saw it. I bet Pioneer starts using that on more future models.

Tom Brown
    One of my friends with the same setup you have was pissed when he saw it.
    You might want to hit your friend with this:
    ********** Begin Hack **********
    For those of you who bought the Pioneer Ipod adapter and want control back of your Ipod when connected to the in car system, here is how you do it with out having to disconnect the Ipod from the dock connector to pick your music.
    It will of course invalidate your warranty on the adapter but you will have control. Open up the Ipod adapter box, just two Phillips screws, you should see a connector that has all the wires going to it from the white cables coming into the box from the Ipod. Carefully pull the connector upwards to disconnect it. In the middle there should be a blue wire, lift the little peg that holds the very small socket that the blue wire is connected to and it should now just pull out. Put a bit of electrical tape around it to stop it touching any thing and put the top back on the box. Of course you do this with the power off and pull the power connecter out of the Ipod adapter.
    After reconnecting it all, you should now have full control of your Ipod to pick your music. The down side is you loose the auto stop and start when you turn the car ignition on and off.
    I’ve done it and used it this way for a few months now with no problems. Give it a go if you want.
    ********** End Hack **********

HitIt
    Check this... no cutting required
    Step #1) Turn on your car so that the radio is functioning.
    Step #2) Keep the ipod unplugged from the radio, but keep the ipod in one hand and the radio connection in the other.
    Step #3) Hold down the play button on the ipod, and before the ipod powers off plug it into the radio. You will know if you did this wrong if you plug the ipod into the radio and it powers back on immediately. This means that you shut it off before plugging it in. In order for this to work, you must hold down the play button and continue holding it until the ipod shuts off after it is plugged in.
    Step #4) Turn the ipod back on. You’ll see the “Pioneer” screen, but if you give it a few seconds, and then press the menu button, you’ll notice that you can navigate the ipod windows just as you should have been able to normally.

mondorally
    Anyone know where to find a similar hack for a Kenwood deck and ipod interface and or if the above will work? I can get the specific model #'s if needed.
    Thanks
    -Justin

Tom Brown
    Check this... no cutting required
    That procedure did not work for my 5.5G iPod. There is another procedure that involves activating the hold switch prior to connecting the iPod but it didn't work for me, either.
    The hack I posted does not require cutting anything. It is a simple disconnect of a multi-pin connector.

HitIt
    Weird. I prefer the method you suggested anyway since I would never want to control the iPod though the shi tty interface anyway.