Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on buying a used Jet Boat....

77 Apollo Jet Boat
    since i wont be rebuilding my old jet, im looking to purchase a used one (if im lucky, a new one).
    what are all the detailed questions/signs i need to know in preparation of buying a used jet boat (whether its over the internet or in person)? I'd like all of ya'll opinions/advice so i can make a compilations of questions to put on paper so ill be prepared for when i see the boat of my dreams!!!
    Thanks for ya'll help,
    William

BigBlockBaja
    Stick with a berk/dominator/Legend/AmericanTurbine pump.

86 catalina
    Look at it during the day..get underneath it and look REAL GOOD at the hull>things to look for are unlevel fiberglass ,diffrent colors of fiberglass,look around the pump for cracking.Uptop look for cracking ,paint changes..etc.Check the bulk head and see if its broken or cracked,this says that the boat was slammed around pretty hard>Aslo your usual motor check up ,run it for sure and listen to the motor and pump for any funny noises.Check the oil..etc...good luck take your time

Cas
    just posted this up not too long ago, here's the link
    Buying a Jet Boat (http://p210.ezboard.com/fclassic***b...icID=138.topic )

Squirtin Thunder
    I've had a couple of people email me asking what to look for when buying a jet boat. A lot of it the info pertains to most any boats not just jets.
    Anyway, here's what I look for when looking to buy.
    1. price
    2. hull make/condition
    a. check for stress cracks, if there's a lot, stay away.
    b. was the hull painted, find out why. The hull may have been damaged, fixed and then painted. Since you don't know how it was fixed, I would shy away from it.
    c. bring a 4 ft long straight edge to check the bottom for hook and/or rocker. The way to do this check is to lay the straight on the bottom of the boat from the transom forward. If there is a gap between the bottom of the boat and the straight edge, the boat has hook. If the straight edge "rocks" the hull has a "bulge" that is referred to as rocker.
    d. bow flex, were there any supports/bulkheads removed under the bow?
    e. check the transom and stringers for rot - this can be tough to do since both areas should be covered in fiberglass. Look closely in areas where there are thru bolts ie: motot mounts in stringers, where pump hole is cut.
    f. check the keel line - lots of scratches or worn out areas mean the boat was beached a lot.
    3. Interior condition, not only the upholstery but check the frames for possible rot.
    4. Interior wiring/gauges
    5. Engine condition - fire it off and listen. If I'm looking for a project, this engine sometimes isn't that important as it'll be freshened up anyway.
    6. Pump - crawl underneath and look at the impeller, any damage visible? chunks out of the impeller means there are issues inside. Check the oil for water and check the driveline the best you can.
    7. Cables - make sure the steering wheel turns freely, the forward/reverse and the throttle cables move easily.
    7. Trailer - overall condition, tires, wheels, do the hubs have bearing buddies, lights, and wiring.
    8. Price - what's the asking price and how much will I need to put into it to make it a good solid running boat?
    If I really like the boat and the hull is in good shape, you can pretty much bet I'll toss most of that stuff out the window
    Steve
    Good post on LBBB

77 Apollo Jet Boat
    just posted this up not too long ago, here's the link
    Buying a Jet Boat (http://p210.ezboard.com/fclassic***b...icID=138.topic )
    thanks Cas, sorry i missed the post. im not much a lurker on here.
    BTW, great info!
    William

Cas
    I just posted that recently on the Laid Back Boards, not here. Thanks for the copy and paste Jim.

GUGS102
    If you can not put it in the water and test. Put the plug in and put 4-5" of water in the inside of the boat and look for leaks. But if at all possible, besides the inspection items already mentioned, try to get it to the water and test.
    Gugs
    Remember tuperware and the walrus (sp) all want the same thing... a tight seal. Same can be said for a boat owner..

centerhill condor
    my favorite is starter engagement... if a new flywheel is needed it is quite a chore to replace. so have him start it a couple of times... does it grind... grinding can be a good thing but not on starters! Ask if he has maintenance records... If he keeps records you will know what has and hasn't been done.
    check the impeller. does it have nicks etc from running through gravel or big sand? or are the blades nice and smooth. real simple to identify these things.
    boat stands for "bust out another thousand"... make note to self!
    Good luck! :boxed:

Personally, I wouldn't buy new. You can get a whole lot more boat for half the money. Depending on where you're located $10K-$14K will buy you one hell of a nice used boat. Anything new will be double that easy, and it probably won't be all that fast. In my mind, it would even be worth a road trip to Texas, Arizona, or California for the right boat. There seem to be lots more to choose from out here, and the prices are better.
    That Carribean that you were looking at was basically a stock boat for $16K? It was a nice boat, but way too much money for what it was IMO. I think you can do much better. Don't be in too much of a hurry. If you're unsure about what to look for, see if someone in your area can help you out.
    I'd be happy to go look at boats with ya (oh the torture), but Mississippi would be a bit of a road trip.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast