Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Mini Cooper advice????

Dave C
    What about a Subaru WRX and Mitsu EVO.. those four bangers haul ass...... they are boxy POS but still turbo charged and AWD....
    My cousin has a minicooper. She seems to like it.

Froggystyle
    There are regular motorhomes, the new mid engine diesel setups that have a mini up in the back. Not a toter, but a motorhome. Now that would be trick, your car under the bed.
    Andy
    Mine will almost do it. I saw a configuration with Renegade that will allow a larger lift gate than I have, with a tag axle and a slightly taller rear to allow the Rhino or the Mini. I would turn the rear end into a living quarters above the garage, with a really tight "prep" area in front of the stairs to the bed so we can have a bit of privacy.
    As it is, our toter, or as it is more appropriately called "motor-garage" has two beds in the garage, but Audrey and I sleep over the cab. That is great, but anyone who needs to hit the head that is staying with us (usually at least one other couple at the river, and often two employees in the garage) need to be in your space. I figure that I am paying for the damn thing... I should get the privacy!
    The next one will be slightly too long to be legal, but I am going to take my chances after seeing what lots of people are putting down the road. I am going with either a Volvo or a new Freightliner chassis, tag axle, big enough garage for a Mini, rear vanity/closet/living space with a door to the garage and to the main compartment and everything else about the same as we have now, except with some slides.
    This would be perfect for a family, but I just want more power, more garage and a slide or two.
    I will definitely be logo'ing it up. I think it would look really cool done up.

hkunz
    Froggy,
    We've had a Mini Cooper S for about three years now. Awesome car. Warranty is also amazing, as long as you live near a Mini dealer (we've had to truck ours from Bakersfield to Universal City, on their dime). Ours is the supercharged model with a 6 speed. If you turn off the computer, the front tires just smoke in 1st and 2nd. You only do that once, as the Dunlops cost over $350 each and require both a special order to get and a special machine to change. We had to order a pair from Phoenix so Discount/America's Tire in Havasu could change them.
    Ours was rated stock at 190, but we have the overdrive pulley and air cleaner kit, so we're about 215. Kinda like a big block in a 16' jet boat, you don't need a whole lot more power due to the light weight of the car. (and you guys are both thin) The computer limits top speed to 148, but I'll have to take the test driver's word on that. We cruise it from Bako to Havasu just under three digits and get about 26 to 28 MPG on premium. It rattles on both regular or half n half.
    Weight does make a difference - I put 200 pounds of fertilizer in the back and it slowed the car just a mite, although stance and handling didn't change much.
    Around town, you can scoot between traffic very nicely. You will get lots of looks, too. People either love them or hate them. They fit very nicely into most any parking stall, corner like a slot car (unless you turn the computer off) get great mileage, and haul a couple of large people like us very comfortably. The guy who sold it to us is a long time friend, about 6'3" and 250, and when he took it in trade he had to test drive it. He figured he'd never fit in it, but he fit just fine. You met "the kids" last weekend, and THEY can drive it just fine. The back seat is best for little ones, or a single adult who doesn't mind riding sideways. Killer stereo, too - Harmon Kardon designed into the structure.
    We'd get another, if we needed it, but this one should last us several more years, then we'll be retiring and won't need a fast commuter.
    Any other questions?
    Mike

Froggystyle
    Froggy,
    We've had a Mini Cooper S for about three years now. Awesome car. Warranty is also amazing, as long as you live near a Mini dealer (we've had to truck ours from Bakersfield to Universal City, on their dime). Ours is the supercharged model with a 6 speed. If you turn off the computer, the front tires just smoke in 1st and 2nd. You only do that once, as the Dunlops cost over $350 each and require both a special order to get and a special machine to change. We had to order a pair from Phoenix so Discount/America's Tire in Havasu could change them.
    Ours was rated stock at 190, but we have the overdrive pulley and air cleaner kit, so we're about 215. Kinda like a big block in a 16' jet boat, you don't need a whole lot more power due to the light weight of the car. (and you guys are both thin) The computer limits top speed to 148, but I'll have to take the test driver's word on that. We cruise it from Bako to Havasu just under three digits and get about 26 to 28 MPG on premium. It rattles on both regular or half n half.
    Weight does make a difference - I put 200 pounds of fertilizer in the back and it slowed the car just a mite, although stance and handling didn't change much.
    Around town, you can scoot between traffic very nicely. You will get lots of looks, too. People either love them or hate them. They fit very nicely into most any parking stall, corner like a slot car (unless you turn the computer off) get great mileage, and haul a couple of large people like us very comfortably. The guy who sold it to us is a long time friend, about 6'3" and 250, and when he took it in trade he had to test drive it. He figured he'd never fit in it, but he fit just fine. You met "the kids" last weekend, and THEY can drive it just fine. The back seat is best for little ones, or a single adult who doesn't mind riding sideways. Killer stereo, too - Harmon Kardon designed into the structure.
    We'd get another, if we needed it, but this one should last us several more years, then we'll be retiring and won't need a fast commuter.
    Any other questions?
    Mike
    No, I appreciate the input! We are about to order a custom built '07 S and I am speaking with Dinan right now about using it as a mule for a Stage 5 kit and suspension for the '07. Bassani will do the exhaust. It will be gone for a little while, but that will give me time to build the new hood for the much larger intercooler and the fresh air intake for the cowl. It will be an evil little car I think...
    What I really want are some Empi 8-spokes in an 18" diameter. So far, all I can find is 15".
    I think Empi's would look rippin on this little thing with big brakes and low pro tires.

Trailer Park Casanova
    I think Photochick has one.
    The new turbos and the improvements on the handling are supurb.
    Buy her what she wants.
    Shop around.
    Though the dealers are in collusion on price, some will break from the ranks.

Infomaniac
    Audrey is thinking about getting rid of her BMW 5 series wagon at the end of the lease (coming up shortly) and we have strongly considered the new Mini. I took one for a drive yesterday with some motor mods and suspension and it could best be described as two barrels of monkeys. In fact, that was how Car and Driver described it exactly. What a blast to drive. Lots of character, great fuel mileage and we are thinking of building a toterhome a little differently next time, and seeing if we can get this thing in the back of it.
    I think it is pretty fly myself. The new ones are turbocharged, and a nice set of rims, a little drop, bigger brakes and some turbo-timer/wastegate work might put it over 200 hp.
    Does anyone on here have any experience good or bad with the Mini's? Anyone know a tuner? Anyone race them? Anyone?
    Thanks ahead of time.
    I think Ryan tunes those. I wanted one when they first came out. I'm over it now.

Froggystyle
    I think Ryan tunes those. I wanted one when they first came out. I'm over it now.
    So you figure I could get five minutes out of it, or less?
    I get more and more hung up on them the closer we get... The website is absolutely superb. Don't be suprised if you see a lot of that kind of stuff in our website soon. Absolutely fun to navigate around in, build your own, paint your own etc... Lots of frivolity too...
    I like it. I have already written them and told them as much.

Froggystyle
    Though the dealers are in collusion on price, some will break from the ranks.
    Any leads to this end?

hkunz
    It will be an evil little car I think...
    What I really want are some Empi 8-spokes in an 18" diameter. So far, all I can find is 15".
    I think Empi's would look rippin on this little thing with big brakes and low pro tires.
    The "Minilites" that we have on our '03 are an 8 spoke that look just like the old Empis, but they are 17s. I don't think you could get a smaller wheel over the calipers.

Froggystyle
    The "Minilites" that we have on our '03 are an 8 spoke that look just like the old Empis, but they are 17s. I don't think you could get a smaller wheel over the calipers.
    Who makes them?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456