Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silly Olds story- Convert Olds to Chevy, Pontiac or Buick?

Boostedballs
    I'm located in the Beaverton area.
    The olds that was in it would only turn 3100 rpm at best and that's at 50+mph. Turnes out that it had a 600cfm carb on it! What a joke. 5000rpm would make that boat scoot!
    I'm thinking that the skirts may have collapsed like you said. I've never seen this much slop in a piston. Also- the odd bank is the one with really sloppy pistons and the piston slap. Makes sense because the area that contacted the head is at the top of the pistons and ONLY the top.
    I know that going Pontiac or Buick would be weird, but they are a lot easier to find around here than the Olds are. Don't worry, that would be the last resort, even after going with a small block!

malcolm
    That thing had some real issues if it would only spin 3100.
    Don't forget, you can run almost ANY Olds in there! They're all pretty much interchangeable. I ran a small block 403 for years. Had it spinning 4600 and now my 455 turns 5K.

Boostedballs
    I have some 403 heads and they look a LOT like the 455 heads. Could I run 455 heads on a 403?

malcolm
    Yeah, there are guys running big block heads on 403s.
    There's a bunch of us Olds powered boaters who post on realoldspower.com.

speedymopars
    My understanding is you can use Olds heads interchangably - however you may have intake fitment issues with stock manifolds. Edelbrocks can work if you port match them.
    The question wasn't answered though what does it take?
    Motor mounts, bellhousing, flywheel, and ????

malcolm
    My understanding is you can use Olds heads interchangably - however you may have intake fitment issues with stock manifolds. Edelbrocks can work if you port match them.
    The question wasn't answered though what does it take?
    Motor mounts, bellhousing, flywheel, and ????
    What question? I saw "what do you think about all this?"
    As for changing over... You're on the right track. Add a dozen nickel and dime items and you're golden.

ck7684
    I say go for the Poncho 455!! Seems to me the Super Duty 455's would be excellent boat engines. I've seen a couple on a Pontiac site, but none yet on boating sites.
    If you go with a chevy, the sbc and bbc flywheels are NOT interchangable...

Boostedballs
    I say go for the Poncho 455!! Seems to me the Super Duty 455's would be excellent boat engines. I've seen a couple on a Pontiac site, but none yet on boating sites.
    If you go with a chevy, the sbc and bbc flywheels are NOT interchangable...
    Yes I've seen some Pontiacs with ground-pounding torque and I like being a little different. The BBC is my fav because of the availabilty and range of parts. Pontiacs seem a little scarce as far as finding blower pistons, etc.
    So I would have to find a flywheel for a BBC if I go that route, nice to know. I wonder what size and weight I should go with. The one on the olds is massive!

pw_Tony
    Remember the last engine masters Challenger small block fords took 5 out of the top 6 spots. And thats with BBC BBF and some mopars running against them.

ck7684
    Remember, the internally balanced BBC's need the flywheel and the balancer in order to balance the rotating assembly. This MUST be done!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast