Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silly Olds story- Convert Olds to Chevy, Pontiac or Buick?

Boostedballs
    Remember the last engine masters Challenger small block fords took 5 out of the top 6 spots. And thats with BBC BBF and some mopars running against them.
    I assume the Clevelands did the best?
    I would be worried about installing something with less cubes in a jet. Some say "there's no replacement for displacement", while others say "forced induction is the replacement for displacement". I say there's no replacement for big cubes with forced induction.
    I'm sure the Cleveland can handle the shock load of my boat jumping out of the water, but the Windsor I'm not too sure about.
    Hmm, I found a reasonable deal on a complete olds 455 in Seattle. Just waiting to hear back about casting numbers, etc. That would be the easiest way to get this mofo back on the water before the Portland crap weather returns. Then I would have an extra 455 in the garage that would get lots of attention in the winter time. (assuming it's still good)
    *differences in BBC flywheels noted

speedymopars
    I assume the Clevelands did the best?
    I would be worried about installing something with less cubes in a jet. Some say "there's no replacement for displacement", while others say "forced induction is the replacement for displacement". I say there's no replacement for big cubes with forced induction.
    and a little NOS shot to top it off :sqeyes:

malcolm
    Seattle proper or one of the suburbs? If it was close enough I could look at it for ya if you want. I'm NE of Seattle around 40 minutes.

LakesOnly
    Silly Olds story- Convert Olds to Chevy, Pontiac or Buick?
    None of the above.
    LO

Boostedballs
    None of the above.
    LO
    OK Henry
    I see a ton of 429's and 460's around and I have very little experience with them. I did help build a pair of twin 460's for a tour boat in Havasu but that's about the extent of my experience with them. Whatever I decide to go with- it will be very low compression for a turbocharger setup later on down the road. The 429's seem to be a dime a dozen here, would they be a better candidate for the jet / turbo setup than the 460's?

I had an Olds 455 in my Rogers when I bought it. I switched to a BBC. On both engines I used Glenwood/Guardian engine mounts. I never moved the stringer feet. The rear engine mount bolted on with no issue's. The front engine mount was a 1/2" too far long so I made a couple of 1/2" thick aluminum spacers and that worked perfectly. Zero stringer modifications. The Olds distributor won't work on the BBC. About the only thing that I used was the altenator. Some BBC's are internally balanced and some are externally balanced, you got to know what you have. Use the same driveline on your BBC but you'll need a BBC PTO. If you buy a complete FelPro engine gasket set for an Olds V8 it lists all 1964 and newer Olds engines so... 350, 403, 455, uhmmm... Choose your make of engine carefully, they all have qualities about them.

Boostedballs
    Seattle proper or one of the suburbs? If it was close enough I could look at it for ya if you want. I'm NE of Seattle around 40 minutes.
    I have no idea where Marysville is. Thanks for your offer!
    Here's the ad:
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/392395251.html
    This 455 olds F blk.and Ga heads is either marine or auto ready with a 700 tranny must sell???? O.B.O

malcolm
    Marysville is 3 citys N of Seattle on I-5. It's still about 30 minutes away from me, but it's a little closer.
    Have you talked to the guy? $800 or offer sounds pretty good if it doesn't have a panfull of metal shavings.

Boostedballs
    he just dropped the price to $600.

malcolm
    Gettin' cheaper, have you found out what kind of runner it is?
    I've got myself in deep this weekend, let me know if you want some local help with it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast