Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Silly Olds story- Convert Olds to Chevy, Pontiac or Buick?

Boostedballs
    Gettin' cheaper, have you found out what kind of runner it is?
    I've got myself in deep this weekend, let me know if you want some local help with it.
    I'll be pulling the short block in a couple days and then we'll know if I must have the engine or not. The one he is selling is only a stack of parts- heads not torqued, etc. I guess I'll be able to tell if it has the right pistons in it or not!
    I would love to have an extra engine for the boat. One mild and one wild.
    How did you get yourself in too deep?

Wet Dream
    Speaking from experience with the Olds motor, if you continue with the Olds...you'll be asking the same question again sooner than later. I know, the Olds can make a great motor, but if you're at a crossroads and can fab your rail kit...go with something else. I went Chevy and never regretted a minute of it.

malcolm
    How did you get yourself in too deep?
    Nothing too bad, just had to replace the fuel pump Friday night to get ready for the wife's family reunion on Saturday. Got that outta the way. Today will just be a normal day on the river.
    Word to the wise, don't buy one of those Summit (Holley) fuel pumps for an Olds! They break right off the block after a few months of use. I paid a little more and bought one from robbmcperformance.com.
    http://robbmcperformance.com/images/...ps/olds550.jpg

Boostedballs
    I pulled the engine out yesterday and tore it down.
    I noticed the problem right away after taking the oil pan off. Two (2) spun rod bearings on #3 and 5, same pistons that have been hitting the head. I think the builder had his head up his arse because the pistons were too small, and rod caps seemed loose. It's strange that I still had good oil pressure, I guess the side clearances were tight enough to hold the oil in???
    I know that Mondello says to make a groove on the rods to let the oil flow out of the bearing. I guess I'll be doing that on the rods I install.
    PS: anyone have an Olds crank, rods and maybe pistons for sale???
    As far as engine selection- I'll stick with the olds for now since I have so much into it but the next time I come across a deal on a BBC, I'll build it for forced induction and do a quick swap when I have time.

malcolm
    You need to go to realoldspower.com and start reading up on what to do to the bottom end to make it live in a boat.
    I'd be curious what the piston clearance actually is/was? You'll need to run them loose or they will stick when they get hot. Same with the rods and mains.

Warp Speed
    Remember the last engine masters Challenger small block fords took 5 out of the top 6 spots. And thats with BBC BBF and some mopars running against them.
    Ahhh, The old "Australian Windsor" rule again. :sleeping:
    So he should put a small block ford in it??

Boostedballs
    I found a nodular crank today and the guy is shipping it to me for $150. He thinks it has been freshly turned and ready to install. SCORE!
    Also, I'm going with the Chevy 454 for next time. I just found out that you can run them in a jet without a flywheel. That was the main deterrent for me buying one and not being able to find the right flywheel for the engine. All of the 454's I see are from auto-equipped cars and only have flexplates. I can't wait to see how a twin turbo 454 is going to run in my boat! The ultra-low compression probably won't care about not having the flywheel to keep things going smooth.
    But soon I'll have everything I need to get the olds back together and the boat back on the water. Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with the Olds and I'll have the 454 left over for a dragster project or something!

ck7684
    So your sticking with the Olds? What difference does the flywheel make? I have a flexplate on my jet. If you needed a flywheel couldnt you just go buy one? Even a used one should work...

malcolm
    I'm just running a flexplate of my Olds. No issues at all. Just revs up a tad quicker.

Boostedballs
    I change my mind about as often as I change my underwear. (weekly)
    I came across a 454 chevy today and the price was right. I tore into it and it looks pretty fresh. The corner of the block broke off and it looks like someone tried to repair it with a MIG welder! haha! It's the starter boss, which I don't think I need anyway and it was the reason I got it and the stand it was on for $350. The inside has zero sludge and no bearings in the pan! I think it's time to gather parts to convert to BBC!
    The engine came with oval heads and an Edelbrock Tarantula intake for square heads. So I guess the intake is up for trade.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234