Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Powell newbie advice?

shirkey4750
    Just had a friend come back there, said it was awesome. He rented a houseboat for the week. $5000 for the week.

franky
    August is monsoon time. Pay attention. If it STARTS looking nasty, make sure you have a cove to hang out in. Yuo DO NOT want to be on the main channel/body when the wind comes up, believe me.
    Its a long ways but once youmake it past Dangling Rope, he crowds really thin out.
    Go to Rainbow in the early morning or evening. That way you don't have to put up with the tour boats full of cigarete smoking throw the butt on the ground euros.
    Great Mexican food place on the main road past the Chevron on the left, a motel next door. The steak house on the side street to the left as you come up the hill is good also. Breakfast at the Lodge and the restaurant at the Marriot are OK too. But best is BBQ on the beach.

franky
    As said above, if you see a tour boat SLOW down!!! The rollers that come off those things are massive and will launch you, however they are spaced oddly and you will land right on top of the next one. Take them slow and be prepared for them, they will show up out of nowhere if you are not paying attention to the tour boats.
    Also, if you see Magic34's boat (it is about as big as the tour boat), same problem. Prepare to launch

AzLakeLizard
    If you have been in the infected waters.. It is easy enough to go through their wash.. It is between 2 and 5 bucks.. Better safe than sorry.. We don't need no stinking "mussels" in our beautiful lake!!!

Down load this and fill it out. It will help you get through the gate with out a wash down.
    http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/upl...20May%2022.pdf

AzLakeLizard
    Yep.. "mystery wakes".. Just ask TnB... lmao:jawdrop:
    As said above, if you see a tour boat SLOW down!!! The rollers that come off those things are massive and will launch you, however they are spaced oddly and you will land right on top of the next one. Take them slow and be prepared for them, they will show up out of nowhere if you are not paying attention to the tour boats.

Magic34
    August is monsoon time. Pay attention. If it STARTS looking nasty, make sure you have a cove to hang out in. Yuo DO NOT want to be on the main channel/body when the wind comes up, believe me.
    Its a long ways but once youmake it past Dangling Rope, he crowds really thin out.
    Go to Rainbow in the early morning or evening. That way you don't have to put up with the tour boats full of cigarete smoking throw the butt on the ground euros.
    Great Mexican food place on the main road past the Chevron on the left, a motel next door. The steak house on the side street to the left as you come up the hill is good also. Breakfast at the Lodge and the restaurant at the Marriot are OK too. But best is BBQ on the beach.
    If you are in a canyon for a fwe hours, dont forget that the only sky you see is directly above you. Be sure to head out of the canyon after 90 mintues or so to take a look at weather on the horizon.

Mardonzi
    There is definately a difference between the upper lake and lower lake, scenery wise. Launching from Antelope, Navajo Canyon is the first canyon on the rught as you are heading uplake. The canyon itself winds back quite a ways and then splits into 2 canyons. Chaol canyon is a pretty canyon if you enjoy a bit of a hike. One thing to take into consideration once you start getting into the smaller canyons and hiking is the weather. If there is any hint of rain around, stay out of them due to the possibility of flash floods.
    After you hit Padre Bay, (Bouy 23) any of the canyons past that on the right hand side are cool to explore by boat. This includes Face canyon, West canyon, Dungeon and Mountain sheep canyon.
    Fuel availibility.
    I'm not sure what you run fuel wise. With my boat with blower motors, If I am going to run way uplake, I fuel up with AvGas at the airport and then top off with 87 at Dangling rope. This keeps the Octane level high enough to make it uplake. There are only 2 marinas that carry 91 Octane. Antelope Point and Halls Crossing.
    By Labor Day, most of the monsoons should be over, but I have seen freak storms come in. If you do have a VHF radio, the Park Service will brodcast a warning on Channel 16 of any impending storms coming up.
    Map wise, Stan Jones maps are the only way to go. They sell them at all the marinas as well as the grocery stores in town. They have a detailed list of all the canyons on the lake and any points of interest are shown both on the map and in the narrative. Well worth the cost to get one.

20" gun's
    Your 600 will run on the 87. If you are worried bring some octane booster. Its nice to have another boat just in case. Wish you luck.

Magic34
    There is definately a difference between the upper lake and lower lake, scenery wise. Launching from Antelope, Navajo Canyon is the first canyon on the rught as you are heading uplake. The canyon itself winds back quite a ways and then splits into 2 canyons. Chaol canyon is a pretty canyon if you enjoy a bit of a hike. One thing to take into consideration once you start getting into the smaller canyons and hiking is the weather. If there is any hint of rain around, stay out of them due to the possibility of flash floods.
    After you hit Padre Bay, (Bouy 23) any of the canyons past that on the right hand side are cool to explore by boat. This includes Face canyon, West canyon, Dungeon and Mountain sheep canyon.
    Fuel availibility.
    I'm not sure what you run fuel wise. With my boat with blower motors, If I am going to run way uplake, I fuel up with AvGas at the airport and then top off with 87 at Dangling rope. This keeps the Octane level high enough to make it uplake. There are only 2 marinas that carry 91 Octane. Antelope Point and Halls Crossing.
    By Labor Day, most of the monsoons should be over, but I have seen freak storms come in. If you do have a VHF radio, the Park Service will brodcast a warning on Channel 16 of any impending storms coming up.
    Map wise, Stan Jones maps are the only way to go. They sell them at all the marinas as well as the grocery stores in town. They have a detailed list of all the canyons on the lake and any points of interest are shown both on the map and in the narrative. Well worth the cost to get one.
    If you are full on super unleaded and head up lake to dangling rope, immediately stop at DR to top off. That way you are mixing with as much super as possible.
    I had a high compression motor in my 29' Magic, and I did it this way. You lose a point or 2 of compression due to the altitude and the motor can perform on lower octane fuel without damaging it. I just wouldn't fill up the entire tank with it. 1/2 tank of 91 and 1/2 tank of 87 should give you a good midgrade blend.
    I have had issues with octane booster fouling plugs, so I stay away from that stuff. It also messes up your powdercoat if you spill any of it.

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
    Put in at Antelope early. 7am or earlier.Go straight to Rainbow Bridge.After Rainbow top tanks at Dangling Rope.The earlier you go the better.If you can return to Antelope at DarkThirty that is also the best.Read the maps and pay close attention to the channel markers,its easy to get out of the channel at 40 plus MPH.Go well prepared Mother Nature can kick your ass.Get ready to see one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast