Thread: Jet Loader Scoops

What would happen if you use a pump loader that is designed for 100-125 hp more than you have....for right now? What kind of performance will you get from using a step up loader from stock? Night and day difference, or ? Are they difficult to install?

kcsteck
    I put one on my boat that was border line.455 olds I was goin GPS 58 5k RPMS and it slowed me down to 54 GPS 4800 RPMS and loaded way more water Im assuming into my motor cause I didnt know to turn down water pressure from non loader setting. the extra water pressurer milkshaked motor and wasted the bearings!nocked hard seat out of head ,bent the valves on one cylnder & banged uopthe piston beyond repair. Total rebuild right now. BE careful! find out everything before you try it.
    my 02 cents
    was $1200 mistake for me.
    Casey

BrendellaJet
    run a water gauge so you can monitor block pressure. A nice setup will run about $125(autometer gauge and braided line). You will wonder how you ever lived without it. Its also a nice tuning tool.

bakerjet
    i run one and no trouble. just plumb in the same size outlet as inlet and you should be fine, -8 all the way on mine.

kcsteck
    I have a guage on my block on the intake by the thermostat housing. Is that not good enough? Im not sure how good the guage is. Very Old! i had it set before but never though to check it again with adding the loader to the pump.I have same size hose feeding motor water from pump as I do dumpin water to headers abnd same size dumpin overboard from motor.
    Can you show me what this Autometer guage looks like or where to get it?or your setup. I sure dont want a repeat!
    Casey

ck7684
    From what I understand, too much loader will slow you down. I have no personal experience with them, just a lot of reading up...

CPBRIAN10THMTN
    Too much loader will just bog you down, you need the power to turn the extra water, thus the reason why they are HP rated. Kinda like a larger impeller on a stock motor. Too big and you will for sure lose rpm's, just right though and you'll gain speed, its all about picking the right one. As far as installing them, pretty simple, they are secured with 4 5/16 bolts, two of which are 1 inch long and two of which are 1 1/4 and they go into the knobs that you see at the top of the berkeley intake, you will have to tap out the holes cuz i believe the ones in there for the stock grate are 1/4 but its just cast aluminium so that should be no problem. the longer bolts will poke through the top side of the intake, those will get 5/16 lock nuts, doesn't matter which ones get the lock nuts, usually its easier to do the two closer t the transom because of the pan.
    Loaders IMO are one of the cheapest "bang for your buck" definetly worth it.

kcsteck
    thats exactly it.... HP for correct one. Now how are you supposed to do that? Im guessin why people are Dyno'n their Motors?I was guessin I had close to 400Hp per chart for 58GPS 5000 RPM with a A impeller ( which now turns out was AB Instead)and it said for boats around 375 and over so i got that one. I had sport loader before that I wish I kept cause it was 4 mph faster. Now that im rebuildin my motor that had spun bearings the whole time and cracked heads im guessin I should keep what I got as I will probably have more HP I didnt know was lurkin inside her due to the bad shape the motor was actually in. Never heard any noises with the Headers thats for sure.

Boostedballs
    Sort of a side note for ya:
    I had the cheezy cast aluminum grate that had about 5 lines in it and they were very blunt. My boat would run about 46mph with a 455 olds with J heads and a 600cfm carb. I didn't know the carb was so small but...
    Then I decided to make my own intake grate out of 1/4" stainless bars. I knife-edged the leading edges and I put two small 'deflecter tabs' on the outter corners to direct some water upward into the pump. The tabs do not protrude below the hull.
    This was all just a shot in the dark as far as engineering goes. With no other changes, the boat picked up 6-10mph! Granted, the stock grate was bent up pretty good but the difference was VERY noticable. I have no clue if my little angled tabs helped or hurt the design. I also only used two or three runners instead of 5, I'm sure that helped too.
    Chuck- Oregon