Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STIFF steering cables.....any EZ fix?...

grimreaper
    I have a Hydrostream with a 150 Merc on it with dual cables......any EZ fix ??

ratso
    Change out the cables, one or both could be stiff, depending on brand you may spend around $100 each on them.

grimreaper
    Is there any way to drill them and inject grease into them? Why weren't there grease fittings on them to start out with?

ratso
    I have seen them before with grease fittings, but they still go bad, I've heard of people submerging them in oil or diesel fuel, you name it, but after a few hours or days or weeks of screwing with it they usually buy new cables. I buy these hones that hook up to a drill and also hone out the steering tubes when I do a replacement to remove any rust or corrosion, and of course apply grease liberally.

snappertapper
    i would go with hydraulic its all i run

ratso
    Hydraulic is by far the best

snappertapper
    you can get a system for around $450

ratso
    I hit a wrong button somehow. Hydraulic is best yet it is also the most expensive. I for one cannot justify the money for it and I'm a dealer, yet I have people order from me fairly regularly for these systems. If you go hydraulic get the seastar pro model by Teleflex.

snappertapper
    justifyimg it is easy i just call it saftey equipment, i wont use anything less going 80 mph

ratso
    snappertrapper, If you can find these systems for $450 then I need to get hooked up with your guy, especially since my cost is $550 plus the hose kit at $130 and an adapter kit if needed and in some applications a different cylinder which is over $300, and since I deal directly with Teleflex in a lot of instances and can't get that price even from them, please hook me up with your guy. (ARE they HOT?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast