Hi All,
Well, I've asked a few questions and seems they aren't the right questions, so I thought I better start over by telling you that I'm new to Jet Boats. I just picked up my first, last Tuesday. It's a 1975 Miller Jet/Ski boat, 19' long. In looking at the motor it looks to me like some hack has worked on it.
First thing I had to do was wire the trailer for lights. It was a total mess. Secondly, I moved to the bow of the hull and found 4 holes (matching on both sides) where it looks like cleats had once been installed. Well, my wife doesn't care for the color of the boat in the first place so I plugged 4 of the holes and mounted my own cleats for the time being. Looks kind of dumb but did fill 4 holes for the time being.
Then I moved on back to the engine compartment, where the spark plug wires were in such a bad state that several had been running on the headers were burnt. I replaced them with new and re-routed them so they don't touch now but I'm looking for some good loom solutions. The dist. cap and rotor were in fine shape so I just cleaned the gunk off and put them back.
Then, after looking at many boats on different forums, I moved to the water cooling system. It just doesn't make much since to me. Two of the hoses just loop back on themselves. I know this can't be right. There's no thermostat so I'm looking for suggestions as to correct this mess. Once I have this cleaned up, I've got to concentrate on the wiring harness. There are several wires that go to no where and were just hanging out in space. I put some silicon on them and then added some heat-shrink tubing until I can figure out what goes to what and if these loose wires are really needed.
Well, there you have it. My last boat was a 12' 6" Hogan Hydro, running a Merc MK 20 with a Quick Silver lower end. Would do about 55 to 60 mph. This was back in 1968-69.
Here's The Miller!
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Miller_at_Home.jpg
Greg