Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New To Jets

GAWnCA
    New to Jets also, just picked up a 25' 1977 Hawaiian Boats Cruiser with a Ford 460 and Jacuzzi YJ Jetdrive. It'll need some work on the floor, a good paint job and the engine freshened up.
    I noticed a lot of locals here in N. California especially Sacramento.
    I am in need of advice to what to put in my Ford 460 engine to give it a little more power if I really need it? The boat has been sitting for over 15 years and I'd like to remove the engine to freshen it up as well as add anything else to make it run better. I know I'll need the top end such as the carb and aluminum manifold, the heads will get new valve springs to match the new cam and possible roller rockers and tappets (if worth spending the money). New electrical, distrubitor, coil, etc. The bottom end looks like it could use new rings, won't know till I measure them.
    The jet drive can be freshened up as well, any advice there?
    I also need to fix or replace the trailer due to the jack giving away and bending the front of the trailer upwards about 10" or so.
    Lot of work ahead of me and I think it'll be worth it. Basically I want to have everything in new or good condition to give me a piece of mind and not have a dead boat in the middle of the lake.
    Hope this wasn't too long,
    Ron
    How about some photos? Where in Sacramento are you? Does the engine run now?

oldbuck40
    The engine is a 460 Ford. Sounds great and does start right up. Starts better now that the plug wires are like they are suppose to be.
    Here's the front of the engine. I took this to show the plumbing mess.
    http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Engi...lumbing001.jpg
    This is before I did the plug wires.
    It's got an Edelbrock torker 460 manifold that Edelbrock tells me is not for a boat or marine use, then it's topped off with an Edelbrock 1407 4 bbl carb that is for street use. I think someone just had some BBF parts laying around or found them at the flea market. With time, and money, this thing will come together correctly, but for the time being, it runs.
    just a note on the header plumbing! i can see where,,to make it simple looking straight at the motor see the right header pipe has alot more blue on it! thats because its starveing for water! reason is the hoses from the T need to be the exact same length,,other wise the water will take the easy route of the shorter hose. just my .02

GAWnCA
    just a note on the header plumbing! i can see where,,to make it simple looking straight at the motor see the right header pipe has alot more blue on it! thats because its starveing for water! reason is the hoses from the T need to be the exact same length,,other wise the water will take the easy route of the shorter hose. just my .02
    Hi OldBuck,
    Well, I was told that at some point the small tubes got clogged up and did starve that side. I wish there were a solution to making them larger. So your 2 cents are valid. They did get too hot. I'm working on making sure this part of the problem is solved as well.
    Greg

Cas
    rp14,
    did you see the responses on the Laid Back Board?
    As you and Gaw can see, there's a lot of people in these parts that are more than willing to give a helping hand. I'm in Sonoma and the offer for some help comes from me also although Fleetimus is the one with a real good set-up.

oldbuck40
    Hi OldBuck,
    Well, I was told that at some point the small tubes got clogged up and did starve that side. I wish there were a solution to making them larger. So your 2 cents are valid. They did get too hot. I'm working on making sure this part of the problem is solved as well.
    Greg
    It will all come together! Sweet looking ride too! i have to laugh at the plumbing picture cause it reminded me of my boat when i got it! took me a while to trace it all down and get it right and when i got through i had about 6' of extra hose.lol

GAWnCA
    rp14,
    did you see the responses on the Laid Back Board?
    As you and Gaw can see, there's a lot of people in these parts that are more than willing to give a helping hand. I'm in Sonoma and the offer for some help comes from me also although Fleetimus is the one with a real good set-up.
    I just joined the forum. Now I have to find my way around. Thanks!

GAWnCA
    It will all come together! Sweet looking ride too! i have to laugh at the plumbing picture cause it reminded me of my boat when i got it! took me a while to trace it all down and get it right and when i got through i had about 6' of extra hose.lol
    I don't know that I'll have extra hose but I do know that when the oil was changed they didn't clean up the mess and the gunk that I've been getting my hands in is like gear grease. May hook the hose up to the hot water heater and just blast it out that way. I've got to get some pipe fittings "L's" for sure. And I may find the thermostat parts and put that back together. Sounds like the best way to control the engine temp.

Cas
    I just joined the forum. Now I have to find my way around. Thanks!
    I noticed, it's not as busy as it is here but most of the people on it are fairly local to you. You can also keep an eye out for lots of different get togethers that you might want to join in on.

Cas
    I don't know that I'll have extra hose but I do know that when the oil was changed they didn't clean up the mess and the gunk that I've been getting my hands in is like gear grease. May hook the hose up to the hot water heater and just blast it out that way. I've got to get some pipe fittings "L's" for sure. And I may find the thermostat parts and put that back together. Sounds like the best way to control the engine temp.
    The easiest way I've found to clean the bilge is to mix up about 3 gals of hot water and laundry detergent. Pour it into the bilge and take the boat for a little tow, the sloshing around cleans it out pretty good. When you get back, pull the drain plug and drain the gunk into a bucket. Repeat as necessary to get it clean.
    Most auto parts stores also carry products to clean up grease that can be mixed with water.

GAWnCA
    The easiest way I've found to clean the bilge is to mix up about 3 gals of hot water and laundry detergent. Pour it into the bilge and take the boat for a little tow, the sloshing around cleans it out pretty good. When you get back, pull the drain plug and drain the gunk into a bucket. Repeat as necessary to get it clean.
    Most auto parts stores also carry products to clean up grease that can be mixed with water.
    I guess I could mix up some Tide and Dawn together and see what it does. Should work. Thanks.
    Up-Date - Boy!!! Tide sure foams more than I remember it doing. Maybe it's the fabric softener they add now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast