Thread: Mercury spanner nut tool

Tom Brown
    I've got two Mercury V6 Fleetmaster gear cases with a different style of spanner nut on each. Does the Mercury spanner nut tool work for both? Does anyone else make a tool? I didn't see one on the Bob's web site.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Zuumer
    Tom,
    Are you talking about the lock tab ring that goes on the prop shaft and is followed by the prop nut ? If so, there are two different kinds. The early style was thicker and had plain tabs that you'd knock into the grooves of the prop hub lock ring. You can use a pair of channel lock pliers opened wide to grip the prop shaft and edge of each of the 3 tabs to bend them outwards and then remove the prop nut. Mercury makes a pair of pliers for this type.
    The newer style is the thinner one with the tabs bent up at a 90 degree angle and a small hole at the end. These you can easily bend outwards with a pair of needle nose pliers. Mercury doesn't make a special tool for these.
    I think this is what you are refering to. If not please let me know and I'll get the answer for you.
    Thanks,
    Ron

sorry dog
    I think Tom is referring to carrier (nut?) that needs a spanner wrench to get loose.
    But I'm too young to know anything so I'm probably wrong.

TIMEBOMB
    Tom
    I looked up the number in my merc book but all they cover is sportmasters of the 2.4L and 2.5L. The number they call out is 91-61069 and it lists on the merc web page as $69.00 and some change. I don't know if they are all the same (fleetmaster and sportmasters) maybe this will help, maybe not. Later, Gary
    [ June 28, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: TIMEBOMB ]

Tom Brown
    Ron - Thank you. That's great information. I had been lifting the tabs with a big flat blade and hammer. I'll give the channel locks a try next time. I have both old and new styles, by the way, so your descriptions of both are appreciated.
    Dog - You're right about the carrier net. Also, I think you should stop reading Blown472's posts.
    Gary - That's it! Thank you very much. I hadn't been able to find it.
    I really appreciate the help, gentlemen.
    -- Tom