Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for when buying an O/B?

Duke
    just like the subject says, i'd like any info anyone has on what to look for when purchasing an O/B.
    WHat if its been sitting for a couple of years?
    Thanks in advance
    Duke

snappertapper
    compression, overall appearence, gear oil, does it run? wiring, hoses, sound of motor does it sound good? does everything work?

Duke
    its the boat in hot spots, west, topic, "spam: cheap boat for sale"
    what would i want to check on the engine and "lower unit" i guess is what its called...?

Tom Brown
    Duke:
    just like the subject says, i'd like any info anyone has on what to look for when purchasing an O/B.Look for "Mercury" written on the side of the cowl.

Tom Brown
    The fill plug on the gear case should have a magnet on it. Like ST said, you should check the gear case oil. If it looks like creamed coffee, it's got water in it. If it looks the color of unused engine oil, it's good. If the magnet on the fill plug has metal particles on it, that's not a good sign, either. If the engine is older and the gear oil has never been changed, it will be black and will stink beyond what you could imagine when you drain it.
    I think it's tough to get much of an idea about a powerhead without doing a leak-down test. I like to look at the paint for discoloring, though. Particularly on non-black engines, you can sometimes see discoloring on the sides of the heads. That's a sign that fairly severe over heating has occurred sometime in the engine's life.
    Perhaps the best thing to do is take the boat and motor to a decent outboard mechanic to look over. If you can find a good guy, it will be worth the money.
    -- Tom
    PS - Mercury rocks.

That boat looks like a pretty good deal even if the motor wasn't great. The hull and trailers probably worth more than he's asking buy a good margin I'd bet.

MAXIMUS
    If you find it has a jet then you are good to go!

Phat_Kat
    MAXIMUS:
    If you find it has a jet then you are good to go! do you just set your life goal on harassing the shit out of us?

HavasuDreamin'
    The Hondo (I think we determined that) is a hell of a deal. Sell the 120 OMC and put a 200 Merc. on it.
    When in doubt, take a test ride. Make sure the boat fires up easily and runs good at all rpm bands, etc. Also, check the gear case lube, and definately do a compression check. Good Luck

Phat_Kat
    Duke:
    just like the subject says, i'd like any info anyone has on what to look for when purchasing an O/B.
    WHat if its been sitting for a couple of years?
    Thanks in advance
    Duke If it's been sitting then that can be a good thing because that means it's not being run like hell. If it's carbed and sometimes EFI, look for coughing in the engine. That's a sign of hard usage. A good sign to look for is when the engine is revved then killed quickly listen for a little puff or backfire, but be sure it's little. I've just found that engines like that have a little extra snap because of the extra compression. Many will disagree but it's just been my experience. The look for the obvious leaks and check any skegs for nics or bends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast