Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Us, Maui, and Flossie....

AZKC
    As of 5am Hawaii time today. Everybody think South
    "Hurricane Flossie is not willing to give up. Despite hints that the hurricane might move over cooler ocean water temperatures...and that it would eventually encounter hostile vertical wind shear...it continues to maintain its intensity. The latest satellite intensity estimates from jtwc and SAB were 6.0...while hfo reported 5.5. The ADT at 1200 UTC is 6.2...which suggests a maximum sustained wind speed of 120 kt.
    The latest track forecast is close to the previous advisory package. However...the forecast has been accelerated through 36 hours. The forecast intensity has also been increased based on the GFDL intensity guidance and persistence. Based on the current track forecast...intensity and radii...this will result in winds of tropical storm force reaching The Big Island by early afternoon Tuesday. Therefore a Hurricane Watch is now in effect for The Big
    Island of Hawaii. Warnings may be required for The Big Island later today. This may take the form of a Tropical Storm Warning if the present track forecast appears to be verifying. At the moment...the islands from Maui County to Kauai County are not expected to require any types of watches. However...any significant deviation of the track toward the north might result in watches...or warnings...for additional areas in the Hawaiian islands.

2Driver
    As of 5am Hawaii time today. Everybody think South
    "Hurricane Flossie is not willing to give up. Despite hints that the hurricane might move over cooler ocean water temperatures...and that it would eventually encounter hostile vertical wind shear...it continues to maintain its intensity. The latest satellite intensity estimates from jtwc and SAB were 6.0...while hfo reported 5.5. The ADT at 1200 UTC is 6.2...which suggests a maximum sustained wind speed of 120 kt.
    The latest track forecast is close to the previous advisory package. However...the forecast has been accelerated through 36 hours. The forecast intensity has also been increased based on the GFDL intensity guidance and persistence. Based on the current track forecast...intensity and radii...this will result in winds of tropical storm force reaching The Big Island by early afternoon Tuesday. Therefore a Hurricane Watch is now in effect for The Big
    Island of Hawaii. Warnings may be required for The Big Island later today. This may take the form of a Tropical Storm Warning if the present track forecast appears to be verifying. At the moment...the islands from Maui County to Kauai County are not expected to require any types of watches. However...any significant deviation of the track toward the north might result in watches...or warnings...for additional areas in the Hawaiian islands.

I'd say your focked. J/K
    Curious, when are you supposed to leave?

AZKC
    We leave LAX about 9:30am on Thursday the 16th arrive OGG at Noon Hawaii time. I'm thinking we will be getting there on the coattails of a Tropical Storm. As long as this bitch don't make a right turn I think we are good. We are going as long as United will fly us, Maybe we'll get a chance to go to Disneyland for a day

Ziggy
    You should be fine. It seems they believe it will weaken some and stay south of the big island.
    HAve a fun time....but take a couple parachutes just in case

2Driver
    This goes with us where ever water could become or is an issue. Aways goes to India, China, with my wife and anywhere there could be a run on drinking water ie after a hurrince. Also nice to carry on hikes. Dont drink the stream water if you hike the water falls in HI but this should keep you safe to drink out of the stream..
    http://www.rei.com/product/708981

AZKC
    You should be fine. It seems they believe it will weaken some and stay south of the big island.
    HAve a fun time....but take a couple parachutes just in case
    She's weaken a bit but I want her to pick up speed by about 24 hours or so

mikefd024
    I am in Maui now, and you will be fine, the storm is going south, and will only get the southside of the big island, and that will only be the outer edge of the storm. They are also saying it is going to be downgraded to a tropical storm. Anyways just some srinkles predicted, they have been happening on and off for the last week and half anyways. But expect some serious tradewinds been blowing 25-30 daily, especially in the afternoon. I leave tommorrow night, back to the OC, Havasu in a week, what a contrast Maui to Havasu for vacations love em both....

AZKC
    Thanks for the update Mike Latest maps look pretty good should be well past the Islands come Thursday

mobldj
    september 1st we are going on a 7 day cruise to all the islands,wifes freakin out but i think it would be cool on a big azz cruise ship in the rollers.to quote a movie.."its a hell of a day at sea sir".

AZKC
    Lookin good as of now Time to start the countdown

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast