Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Powell newbie advice?

hkunz
    We are looking forward to our first trip to Lake Powell starting on Labor Day. We'll be in a motel in Page, the Best Western, I think. From what I've gathered, we should put in at Antelope to avoid the "washing machine". Is that good info? Where are some good spots to eat in town? Are there any cool boat up restaraunts like Topoc Marina? Is it better to try to push up lake towards Dangling, or hang back and explore the lower sections? We went to Trinity a few years back and it was a great change from Havasu's heat and crowds. What else can I expect at Powell? Anything great I should be sure to get to that I don't know enough to ask about?

pw_Tony
    Are you going to get a house boat? I always thought the middle, or the north side of the lake had much better sceniery

hkunz
    Nope, no houseboat, although I've noticed quite a few folks on here seem to rent the houseboat and then take their ***boat as well. We'll be in a motel at night, still not sure how the boat/trailer/pickup parking situation will work out.
    Since our new boat takes premium, we'll have to see how far we can go on a tank, since some of the marinas on the water don't have premium. I will have two cans for race gas to mix with regular if needs be, but I'd rather just use prefab fuel. The math is too hard for a vacation

CMac
    Take a VHF hanheld radio, it's a must.
    Get a good map of the lake or a map GPS so you can follow the markers.
    You can start exploring pretty close to launch at Navajo. It's just around the corner after you leave Antelope Marina. It will give you plenty of sights and an idea of your gas usage.
    Antelope has a resturant/bar on the water. Slips for the bar are around the back of the rental house boats. You cut around just inside the tires from the west end of the no wake zone.

pw_Tony
    Once you figure out your gas situation yah got to get out and beyond Rainbow bridge and farther. Right there next to Paige is kinda bland and normal lake looking.
    Are you bringing the Tahiti as well?

Chico&Zeus
    Get a map, I personally love the "Stan Jones" map of lake Powell, it has tons of information, names of all of the canyons and coves, mile markers and more. I paid $4.50 at World of Maps in Phoenix, then another $4.50 to have it laminated, great to look at and then check GPS to see where you are, like CMac said, VHF radio is needed also, it's a big lake, kinda scary if you need help and no one is around.

AzLakeLizard
    Ok.. either PM Titties and Beer or Mardonzi form your maps of the lake.. they even have GPS markings for many of our sites...
    yes you will miss the "washing Machine" if you launch at Antalope... and then you head up lake.. you can make your first real left turn into NAVAJO canyon... a bit up lake and see many a site that is NOT bland.. ya know.. it is like in Michigan.. you have your lower lakers.. and your upers.. lol.. this whole lake is frikking awesome!.. I will stop yapping now.. and let you ask more questions! :devil:

AirtimeLavey
    Did this last year. You will still get some washing machine from Antelope, but not as much as if you launched at Wahweap. Watch out for the tour boat and houseboat wakes while in the canyon! Also, stay between the markers, you will be less likely to hit one of the submerged rocks. We liked Padre bay for skiing/wakeboarding and day camping. Def. check out rainbow rock. Take a rake to clear the beach of the sticky thorns. Those things are a biatch.
    If you don't have one, get a VHF and a GPS. I got a handheld combo unit (VHF, GPS, Weather) by Uniden, called a Mystic. With GPS, you don't have to stop and pull out paper maps that can be confusing. Good to have paper maps as back up. GPS is invaluable. Know where the marinas are, and keep on eye on your gas.
    We stayed at Best W. as well. Boat parking was an issue. Just go talk to the owner of the BBQ rest./bar behind the hotel. If you're nice, she'll let you park in their lot. Great place for dinner, too. They have a live band on some nights. A couple blocks up from the BW is a good Italian place.
    Keep an eye on the weather and have fun. It's an awesome place.

CMac
    Down load this and fill it out. It will help you get through the gate with out a wash down.
    http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/upl...20May%2022.pdf

Magic34
    As said above, if you see a tour boat SLOW down!!! The rollers that come off those things are massive and will launch you, however they are spaced oddly and you will land right on top of the next one. Take them slow and be prepared for them, they will show up out of nowhere if you are not paying attention to the tour boats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast