Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little help ford 460

devanwon
    hey all,
    just bought the boat so not sure about everything in the engine.... ford 460 bored .030 over with forged pistons, cam i am told is a ford racing 520 lift, carb is a holley 800 with 1" spacer plate, manifold is single plane edelbrock torker, ignition is a mallory electronic... so the problem im having is that it wont idle and coughs trough the rpm range... I adjusted the float bowl levels on the primary and secondarys they were off, its a tad better but still wont idle and does the same through the rpm range. I was told maybe the timing is a tooth off but not sure where to go from here. still learning about engines know the basics but not a huge amount passed that. any help is appricated!!

Blown 472
    Have you checked the plugs?

devanwon
    plugs look good, gapped at .035

jkh04200
    If the plugs looked good. I'd have to focus on the carb. Idling could be the power valves. But, its bad all through the rpm range. I'd bet you have a couple of problems. Its gonna be trial and error. Definatley check to make sure the dist is right. Then I'd check the pwer valves. How did it run when you bought it? Another thing the check is the valve adjustment. You could have one or two tight and the valve never closes. I've seen it happen.

jkh04200
    Basically start with easy stuff and start elemnating possibilities

Blown 472
    plugs look good, gapped at .035
    Coil is good, cap and rotor ok, plug wires good, good grounds???

devanwon
    yes coil is good, wires are 8mm taylor and are brand new and whole distributor is brand new mallory marine.

devanwon
    yes coil is good, wires are 8mm taylor and are brand new and whole distributor is brand new mallory marine.

Blown 472
    Fuel psi? carb clean? dirty filter, chuck o shit stuck in the carb?

steelcomp
    Double check the firing order on the plug wires, and remember, the Ford dist. rotates the opposite direction of a Chev.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast