Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: True Story About The Death On Thursday

Magic34
    I just spoke to Barry's mother and she is having computer problems, she said she has just started to hear about the overwhelming support among the boating community. She was not sure really what to expect and is grateful for the outpouring of support. They have several good leads on the boat and hope that by this weekend they will have the driver. She said her grandson somehow is under the belief that "the bad guys have been caught" and at the moment no one has the heart to tell him differently.
    She said Dillon lives with his Mom in CA who has custody, they were divorced by still very good friends. They have a large extended family so the boy will be surrounded by lots of family, the maternal grandmother is in route from MD to be with them. They are from a ranching family (cows and horses) and a cowboy funeral is being planned to be held at Quail Spring Ranch near Kingman AZ. There will be a college memorial fund set up for Dillon at Wells Fargo, and when I get the details I will post them. Marilyn stressed that I say thank you on her behalf for your concern and kindness. She is a widow and like all of us dog lovers, she said her Yorkies have been a big help in her coping with this.
    Excellent, thanks.
    So he has a mother and extended family. Not that the loss of his dad isn't hard, but at least there is more comfort there for him than I initially thought.
    God bless that family. This boy witnessed something horrible and I am so glad he has a mother to console him.

Magic34
    Now that we know the boy is OK.... Lets get that boat! Lynch Mob in full force.

Quest4Fun
    This news brought tears to my eyes. Just knowing that this boy does have his mother to hold him and comfort him rather than him being with strangers is a great relief. It is so unfortunate that he had to witness such a horrific event. I will keep watching for details on Dillon's college fund.

socalmoney
    By the end of page 1 of this post, I was thinking how crazy it would be if the parents of that little girl who was killed last month adopted or fostered this little guy. There is a scene in the movie Gandhi where a little boy looses his father in a riot and a father looses a little boy and Gandhi brings the two of them together. Touching scene and this made me think of it.
    By page 3 the good news arrives, he has family. We wish him the best. We are sorry for his lost.
    josh

squirt'nmyload
    thank you third alarm. i can only hope that there would be someone like you around if a tragedy struck to me or one of my family or friends

Charley
    Very sad story..... My heart goes out to the kid
    I hope I don't get flamed here for expressing an opinion, but I just don't think a 9 year old should be driving a jetski on that stretch of the river on a weekend with or without a partner.... I know this is a moot point but a 9 year old on a standup ski on that river on a weekend sounds like a recipe for disaster to me ... I sincerely hope for the best out of this tragic situation and my apologies in advance if this observation offends anyone.

pixilatedpussy
    I come back to read more sad & horrible stuff here? We were out at the river Thursday - Sunday, when for some odd reason my husband decided not to launch Thurs & to drive to Vegas for the night instead. Go figure.... Of course our boys both wanted to ride the stand up on an off day at the river....but we decided that Vegas would be a nice change of pace. :sqeyes: God works in mysterious ways!
    Bless this family & lil boy.

XFactor
    Here is a post from another thread, that has the victims name:
    Oak Hills man killed in hit-and-run boat crash
    TOPOCK MARINA — Barry Lamar Pendley, 47, of Oak Hills was killed Thursday when his small personal watercraft collided with a 25- to 30-foot boat on the Colorado River, coroner’s officials reported Friday.
    After the collision, the boat fled the scene.
    His 9-year-old son, who was a passenger, was rescued uninjured. Pendley had been thrown into the water and was found 30 minutes later in the river. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
    The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department is investigating.
    Very sad story..... My heart goes out to the kid
    I hope I don't get flamed here for expressing an opinion, but I just don't think a 9 year old should be driving a jetski on that stretch of the river on a weekend with or without a partner.... I know this is a moot point but a 9 year old on a standup ski on that river on a weekend sounds like a recipe for disaster to me ... I sincerely hope for the best out of this tragic situation and my apologies in advance if this observation offends anyone.
    I think he was a passenger Charlie.

RitcheyRch
    This is awesome to see how the people on this board can get together and try to help someone in need.

Third Alarm
    When I saw the father and son they were riding near the edge of the water. They were at the narrows when the collision happened so they needed to merge over toward the middle.The river was not crowded at all, that area there has to be a 1/4 mile across and only 4 vessels around. It may not be a good idea for a 9 year old to ride solo but the reason for my post was to help the kid of course but to also throw a heads up to everyone to be on the look out for the boat. This thread has been read by over 3 thousand people in less than 12 hours.
    I'm sure I will see him in court soon and I can't wait to see justice served.
    No thanks is ever needed for what we did, all in a days work. Just remember the next time you hear people bad mouth firefighters, cops and teachers about pay and benifits that all people involved were just that. My wife is a teacher who drove the boat and she is still shaken up pretty bad.
    Jeff

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast