Thread: bolt question

Running_on_Empty
    ok I have a question.....it may be kind of stupid, but I have to bolt up my 454 to my sanger in the next week or two.....I was wonder what size and how many bolts I will need just to mount my 454 to the engine mounts.....I have access to stainless but does anyone know how long and what size I will need
    thanks

Racey
    8 for the front motormount if the motor plate incorporates the water ports, 7 for the rear motormount if you use the top center hole, otherwise 6, they should be about 1" to 1-1/4" long depending on the holes, the longest you can run is the best.

Moneypitt
    8 for the front motormount if the motor plate incorporates the water ports, 7 for the rear motormount if you use the top center hole, otherwise 6, they should be about 1" to 1-1/4" long depending on the holes, the longest you can run is the best.
    EXCEPT......the one behind the oil filter. If it is too long it will crush the oil filter adapter.............MP

Sangerboy
    EXCEPT......the one behind the oil filter. If it is too long it will crush the oil filter adapter.............MP
    LOL, been there, done that Ray

old flat
    On that rear mount, stick a regular bolt through it and it should stick out 3/8 to 7/16 through the backside now that you have the measurement, go buy some 3/8 stainless allen heads that length, repeat the process for the four bolts in the front motor plate. Now, for holding the plates to the motor rails and mounts; stainless allen heads look way cool for a lake set-up, however on the hydro and the runnerbottom we're racing I use grade 8 phospate coated CAT hardware for that. Where ever you do use stainless bolts put a regular steel nut on it, because it will always gall when torqued, even if you use ant-sieze or blue loctite. I use Nyloc nuts on the race boats but other folks use regular ones, I guess that's personal preference, one more note, Ben, when talking hardware don't forget the washers good stainless one look nice, some places lock washers are in order, I use them on the underside of the rails, and back of the plate to rail mounts. That engine bolt up should be a 'Slam Dunk' for you. Give me a call when you get a chance
    STEVE