Thread: Fantasy Football....time for the draft....let's talk strategy

Lightning
    I was invited to join a fantasy football league, the draft is this weekend. This is my first time doing any fantasy sports. Here are the rules breakdown...
    Draft: • Live Draft, 8/18/07 11:00 am ET.
    • 14 Rounds, with 180 seconds between picks.
    • Draft robot enabled - picks are made automatically for teams that let the clock expire.
    Player Pool: AFC and NFC Players.
    Positions: QB, RB, WR, TE, K and DST.
    What positions should I draft first? and how many of each should I try to draft? Those are my main questions that I have. I already know where to get the player rankings and will use that in my selection criteria.

GunninGopher
    You gotta go RB's first. Don't worry about picking up backup RB's before finishing up the rest of your roster. That is, I'd pick up a 3rd and 4th RB before my 3rd WR, in a league where 2 RB's and 3 WR's are started.
    Make a list of all the bye weeks, sorted by week, that way when you pick a backup QB and etc, you can be sure you can use him. That will also help you decide between 2 player ranked similarly.

riverratrob
    You gotta go RB's first. Don't worry about picking up backup RB's before finishing up the rest of your roster. That is, I'd pick up a 3rd and 4th RB before my 3rd WR, in a league where 2 RB's and 3 WR's are started.
    Make a list of all the bye weeks, sorted by week, that way when you pick a backup QB and etc, you can be sure you can use him. That will also help you decide between 2 player ranked similarly.unless peyton ,carson and brady are avail these guys are average 25-35 point a game but only these 3 any other qb is a 4,5 pick. If this is your first draft use updated cheat sheet that ranks top players in each catergory or top 100 combined.

Lightning
    thanks for the feedback guys...anyone else?

SandbarScot
    I am thinking of joining a fantasy league myself. Where can I get a cheat sheet?

Lightning
    I am thinking of joining a fantasy league myself. Where can I get a cheat sheet?
    cbs sportsline dot com is a good place to start.

Sooooeat
    I have been in 2 fantasy leagues for over ten years. The one constant in each league is the winner every year has good running backs. You have to take running back first. My first two picks this year will be RB's. The difference between the top ten RB's to the next ten is huge. You can't afford not to take RB. One of my leagues you start 2 RB's, 2 WR's and a flex. I take 3 RB's the first three rounds and always start them. A WR touches the ball 6-7 times. RB 20-25. No brainer. As for QB, unless you can get Manning or Palmer, the difference between the rest is not that big.

GunninGopher
    don't bother with the printed cheat sheets. Print one from a reliable source on-line the night before the draft.
    Bring a computer and look up a player right before you pick him. I've been in 1 league for 11 years and another for 7. The 11 year league predated the internet sites and every year there would be some real laughers on draft day. Everyone was using the printed cheat sheets and they'd pick guys that were out for the year or had lost thier starting job.

SandbarScot
    Thanks for all the advice!
    I have never had the time to participate, so declined the invites, but I think I'll join one this year
    Being a Raiders fan, I need something to look forward to and I don't think we will see the playoffs for a few more years.