Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery Question for certified Marine Mechanic

Classic Daycruiser
    What is the reason for having a marine battery. Could I use an RV battery? What about a car battery. What is the safety issues concerning all three types of batteries.

Havasu Hangin'
    we run 3 opps(yellows),run dead charge back up
    The only difference between the blue (marine) and yellow (deep cycle) Optimas are the terminals.
    I think the question should be deep cycle vs starting battery.

Classic Daycruiser
    The only difference between the blue (marine) and yellow (deep cycle) Optimas are the terminals.
    I think the question should be deep cycle vs starting battery.
    I heard from an un relible source, that marine batteries has a fuse inside that breaks if you sumerge them. Reduced risk of exploisions...etc. But I want to here it from a certified mechanic....Whats the scoop:idea:
    Maybe we should call myth busters??? again

CoolCruzinCobra
    This is what I run.
    Number one auto battery for starting
    Number two is a marine battery .
    I use number two when blasting the stereo .
    The marine can take a draw longer.
    The auto can supply more cracking amps to start.

Baja Big Dog
    Being an electrical engineer, I could answer you question, but IM not a certified marine mechanic!!!

phebus
    The main difference between a Marine battery, and others is that anything marked Marine is usually twice the cost.

Tom Brown
    I heard from an un relible source, that marine batteries has a fuse inside that breaks if you sumerge them. Reduced risk of exploisions...etc. But I want to here it from a certified mechanic....Whats the scoop:idea:
    A battery that stops working when you get water in the bilge might not be the best idea for a marine battery. Also, batteries don't explode when they get wet. In fact, they will happily work submerged.
    I'm with HH. The only difference is the terminals. Marine batteries tend to use 3/8" thread side terminals while car batteries use top posts.
    There's no need to call Myth Busters.... or Mensa.
    What makes you think marine mechanic certification involves a deep understanding of the construction of batteries?

Tom Brown
    i'm calln BULLSHIT ON THIS,whats the other 100$ for?
    Boat tax.

Havasu Hangin'
    Maybe we should call myth busters???
    Not sure about that...lol. I believe batteries need oxygen, hydrogen, and a spark to ignite, so they will not explode when submerged...they just leak acid...which a fuse won't help.
    I think there was a Merc bulletin awhile ago about deep cycle batteries screwing with the computer on the newer engines? Anyway, most agreed that as long as the voltage doesn't drop during long cranking, a deep cycle (marine) will work just as good as a starting battery with those computers.
    Just make sure the CCA meets the requirements for your motor.

Jordy
    I'm with HH. The only difference is the terminals. Marine batteries tend to use 3/8" thread side terminals while car batteries use top posts.
    Most marine batteries use threaded terminals, at least down this way and anymore most car batteries use the side terminals. I know you crazy Canadians like to do things differently though.
    There's no need to call Myth Busters.... or Mensa.
    Not with all the know it alls who hang out in this place.
    What makes you think marine mechanic certification involves a deep understanding of the construction of batteries?
    And even more importantly, what makes you think that you're going to find a certified marine mechanic who will post on here, in The Sandbar, and give you an answer that the rest of the know it alls will even come close to agreeing with??? Are you new??? :idea:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast