Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand-up jetski - what age???

Old Texan
    A Jet Ski is like most anything ridable. If you are under the right conditions and have the proper supervision to provide the safety and training required, it's a good thing. Ground rules need to be established and the youth need to know their limitations and respect for the equipment.
    Should a 9 year old be allowed to ride in open water unsupervised, NO. In a safe area with an adult knowledgable of safety and conditions, YES.
    We'd be a lot safer and secure on the waterways and highways if a bunch of today's adults had received knowledgable training at an early age.
    I've had far more bad experiences with adult PWC operators than I've had with teenagers. Same with boats.
    Some say the better DCB operators are mature juveniles rather than immature adults......(Sorry K, couldn't resist. :devil: )

DUNDUN
    i started riding them about when i was 9... i started in a cove and stepped up two summers later to open water, in front of camp.. then when i was about 13 or 14 i was allowed to take dam runs... nontheless, it sounds like the kid had it wired if they were cruising down river..

Debbolas
    I use to LOVE stand up jet ski-ing
    FUN

Boatcop
    What we here think is of no concern.
    All that matters is that it is ILLEGAL for a 9 year old to operate any kind of watercraft alone.
    Just for clarification, legal age in AZ is 12. In CA it's 16.

Danhercules
    Don't hate.....I'm an emanicpated rider as I started in the 80's
    You won't see me riding a newer sit down model:devil:
    I had a sticker.......
    I'd rather quit than sit!

Boatcop
    What was the law back in say.. 79?
    Not that it matters now. I am just curious what a couple lawyers let there kids get away with.
    No restrictions back then. The first age limit laws for CA and AZ went into effect 1989-1990.
    There is a provision for boats with less than 10 HP, so kids can go out in fishing small boats. (All PWCs are above the 10 HP limit.)

ratso
    I think if the kid can spell better than most of the people on this site, he should be smart enough to handle a jet ski...
    The people that don't have the mentality of a 3rd grader is what scares me...:jawdrop:

Jbb
    Some say the better DCB operators are mature juveniles rather than immature adults......(Sorry K, couldn't resist. :devil: )
    Tex!.....stop hating.....
    RD SUX!

BoatPI
    Interestingly enough the CA law was INCREASED 10+ years ago as a result of a PWC colission between two PWC's and a pontoon boat.
    One 13 or so year old was KILLED. the details were NOT pretty.
    The location of this fatal colision, NOT involving alcohol.......................................RIVE R AT I-40 BRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!

ratso
    Interestingly enough the CA law was INCREASED 10+ years ago as a result of a PWC colission between two PWC's and a pontoon boat.
    One 13 or so year old was KILLED. the details were NOT pretty.
    The location of this fatal colision, NOT involving alcohol.......................................RIVE R AT I-40 BRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!
    That should skew the statistics... something like 95% of jet ski fatalaties are adults over the age of 18?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast