Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding on stainless manifold risers

BrendellaJet
    Want to get thoughts on this, seems like a no brainer-
    Buying a set of Imco Powerflows with thes risers. Wanting to take extra precautions to avoid reversion and have the risers modified by extending the inner & outer tubes a few inches.
    Is it doable? Who would you recommend in So Cal that could handle this and not gouge me on the pricing?
    Here is a pic of the inside of the riser:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/IMG_2834.JPG

Big Inch
    Just a thought. Maybe you should list your cam specs to see if reversion should be a concern. From what I know I don't think an extension of a few inches would make any difference in reversion but I am no expert.

BrendellaJet
    I dont have specs. Its a big solid roller. Builder said reversion could be an issue so I want to do everything I can to prevent...Ill give him a call and get the specs.

BDMar
    We can do it, so can Imco..

Big Inch
    Bdm would it be much more for him to have it fabricated to where the pipes will run all the way out the transom so water can just be introduced at the tips? Seems this would be more effective if reversion is a concern. Assuming that it is a concern after he posts the specs.

jkh04200
    From the picture your a long way from the valves. I don't see how you could ever suck water back that far. JMO

Big Inch
    From the picture your a long way from the valves. I don't see how you could ever suck water back that far. JMO
    You'd be surprised. Couple weeks ago I was looking at my local boat shop and they were rebuilding the motors on a big offshore boat running dual motors staggered setup due to water reversion problems. The one motor pulled water through like 6 feet of tubing or something like that including some radical bends.

BDMar
    Bdm would it be much more for him to have it fabricated to where the pipes will run all the way out the transom so water can just be introduced at the tips? Seems this would be more effective if reversion is a concern. Assuming that it is a concern after he posts the specs.
    This is definitely the best way to go. Yes it is a fair amount more, but worth it in my opinion. The ss bends are very expensive and requires 2 inner and 2 outer, plus the labor is pretty intensive.

jkh04200
    We are talking about two diffrent things.
    No expert by any means. But, water reversion is cooling water dumping into the exhaust hose just past the elbow and being sucked back into the motor due to valve overlap. A boat that has low exhust tips and comes off of plane to quickly or backs up as the wall of water hits the transom thats a diffrent story. It doesnt matter how far the inner tubes of the pictured manifold are extende there is always that possiblity if your not careful.

BrendellaJet
    Im concerned with any reversion, whether it be from the cooling water or the tips. Tips are currently under the waterline, which I really like since it helps keep it quiet and the new motor is loud.(new motor has not been in this boat yet) I can move the tips if I have to but would like to just keep them under water if possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast