Thread: WTF.................Water in Gearcase!

HavasuDreamin'
    All right, as if I don't have enough problems as it is, I drain my gearcase the other day and low and behold, the first couple of ounces that come out are water! WTF? The rest of the lube drains and looks a little crummy. I am concerned! Since I don't have the huevos to pull it apart myself (never done one) and don't trust anyone but the Seebold's who are 5 hours away, I am thinking about running it this summer checking the lube every two times out. Then in the fall, I will take it to the Seebold's and have them crack it open and fix it! Bad idea or no?
    The gearcase is a high performance unit with bob's nose cone and low water pickup, heavy duty bearing carrier and 1-piece prop shaft. It is on my Eliminator 19' Tunnel, so it is a surface piercing prop running about even with the bottom of the center pod. It has about 4 seasons on it or 75 hours total.
    Is this a simple seal ring or what?

snappertapper
    could very well be just a rear seal behind he back prop washer per seal under water ppump housing or in shift rod likely easy fix though if you put air presure in the case you shold hear it leak out if not then try replacing the o-ring around both of the drain plugs email me with anymore questions at bigfish1229@aol.com

Skaterfast
    Yes like Snapper says it could be an easy fix.Don't put it back on without at least changing the $2 shift shaft seal.
    FYI I drained mine one time and 80% water came out.I put seals in it and it ran for 2 more years.Then I sold the boat.Probably still running today.

Screaming Pete
    Havasu Dreamin, Any chance of it just being condinsation? Joe at DCB told me that its a possabilty if its been sitting a while
    s/p

ratso
    Have the lower unit pressure checked, that should tell you if you have a problem or not. Condensation, I don't think so.