Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First Jet Boat

GM KILLER 5.0
    Hello, I'm new on here, and I just picked up my first Jet Boat. Here is a little info:
    Early 70's Tahiti Jet Boat, 18', 455 Olds BB power, Berkley jet, left side drive with throttle pedal, etc.
    Here is my first question, I took it out on my lake over the weekend, and it has I guess what is an adjustable trim unit, with a shifter next to my seat with like 6-8 different settings, I thought maybe this would allow me to raise the jet up and create a roost?? Near the pump the piece that moves up and down is called Jet-Ovater, and I was told that was good? Maybe I'm just dumb, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Also with the 455 olds, 2 people, and a full tank of gas, I was only able to GPS like 44.8 MPH, is that normal, or am I down on power or thrust?
    Thanks,
    Ron

502 JET
    Welcome to Hot Boat!
    You should be able to throw a roost with no problem. Make sure the nozzle is going all the way up when you set the control to full up.
    How many rpms are you turning at your top speed? Check that your throttle plates are opening all the way at wide open throttle.

El Prosecutor
    RPM at speed is one of your most important performance indicators. Find that out first and go from there. Another quick check is to examine the last 4feet of the bottom with a straight edge and see if it is "hooked" at the end, which is a common speed robber.
    Unless you are already aware of the oiling issues witht the Olds I highly recommend you read up on it before doing wide open throttle runs longer than one minute or so at a time. There are many tragic stories of spun bearings on first time out trips.
    Post your RPM/GPS numbers and what you find out about the bottom, and you will get a lot of good input here.

BrendellaJet
    If you want to go fast, save your money. Remove the olds & insert a big block chevy or Ford. Jetboats need lots of HP to go fast.

centerhill condor
    If you want to go fast, save your money. Remove the olds & insert a big block chevy or Ford. Jetboats need lots of HP to go fast.
    that didn't take long...
    dude enjoy your boat but watch the oil pressure. You can check the nozzle adjuster or diverter movement on the trailer.

BrendellaJet
    that didn't take long...
    dude enjoy your boat but watch the oil pressure. You can check the nozzle adjuster or diverter movement on the trailer.
    Sorry, maybe I was being a bit presumptiouos. I assumed that with a name like GM killer 5.0 that he was a mustang fan. Most of those guys spend money fixin them up to make them faster. If you like to go fast on the street, you like to go fast on the water.
    The olds motors are good, just not at going fast. So if you decide you want to haul ass, save yourself some $$$ and do the swap now.

Sleeper CP
    I would have to agree with BrendellaJet. If you just want to cruise around and enjoy the boat the Olds is fine. But if you think you want to go fast, I don't think I would put one $ into trying to make that Olds go fast. Just enjoy it for the cruiser that it is.
    Sleeper CP

gqchris
    When I got my last Southwind, the theory I went by was once she blew up, I would trade her in for the Chevy So yea, enjoy the boat for what it is, cruise the heck out of it, have fun, learn the hobby. a few seasons from now, you will have caught the bug and move on to the next boat

GM KILLER 5.0
    Thanks for the quick responses.
    The BBC swap maybe in the future, as we have quite a few 427's around. I will indeed just have a little fun with the olds for a while, and I will keep my eye on the oil pressure. Thanks for the heads up.
    I will get the RPM vs. Speed etc. next time out for more help.
    I guess I don't understand why it wouldn't create a roost?? I trimmed it all the way up, and just shot a little spray maybe like 2-3 feet, nothing to get excited about.
    What upward angle should I be looking to obtain, I know it all depends, but maybe you guys could give me an approximate angle to try and achieve.
    In regards to my screen name, I have owned and raced my 92 mustang GT for almost 10 years now. The funniest part is, that for the last 4 seasons, it has been powered by a BBC!!!! I keep the name, because I have come to be known by it.
    Thanks,
    Ron

502 JET
    Adjust the shifter to the full up and remove the bolt holding the hiem joint on the nozzle. See if your nozzle goes up any higher. You can adjust the cable to get more up nozzle if the nozle is not bottomed out in the up position.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast