Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - First Post, First River Trip

westair
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1187277306This picture was taken about 1955 five years after my first trip to the lake. There was no channel, a whole forest of trees in the middle of the lake, and launching at Site Six was a piece of cake. These 'performance Boats were awsome! That is me at the helm.
    Wow, great picture .... didn't realize the history of Havasu, what was there? From what I understood there wasn't any roads getting around the lake
    then. I thought I was a early pioneer being there in the 70's.

CBadDad
    Cool pics

Ziggy
    []This picture was taken about 1955 five years after my first trip to the lake. There was no channel, a whole forest of trees in the middle of the lake, and launching at Site Six was a piece of cake. These 'performance Boats were awsome! That is me at the helm.
    One can only imagine all the memories you have of the lake....very cool pic.

socalmoney
    Cool pics. I corrected the color on the first one for ya.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1187284549

Comfortably Numb
    Yea it was all dirt road from the dam to Havasu Palms.
    we used to camp on some of the little islands covered with trees for the weekend.

The Door Hanger
    I BET YOUR ASS was sore after that slide ride kinda like being passed out face down in the channel all night
    That was a rough ride but we had fun. I remember to help get the boat on plane my old man made me and my brother get in the very front, and that was the last thing that I wanted to do.

Kyote
    Yea it was all dirt road from the dam to Havasu Palms.
    we used to camp on some of the little islands covered with trees for the weekend.
    Believe it was called 'Roads End' back then. The trip from Site Six to Roads end by car was over 100 miles and would take all day. There was no bridge over the Bill Williams river at the South end of the lake. You could go from Site Six to Route 66 - no I40 either - to needles then to Videl Junction then to the dam and take the dirt road to Roads End.
    Site Six consisted of two quanset huts and a few cabins and a 10,000 Ft. runway. Some folks flew in. The area was an R&R camp during WWII. There was a metal building next to the launch ramp that was referred to as the 'old government building'.
    And BTW nobody had air conditioners in their vehicles. A rather mello and relaxing time back then. Duck hunting was the big deal on the river below the dam!

River Lynchmob
    I remember that water slide I was on that just a couple years earlier '78. They had big foam pads you rode down on. I also learned to ski in Havasu that year. Where does time go?:yuk:

westair
    Believe it was called 'Roads End' back then. The trip from Site Six to Roads end by car was over 100 miles and would take all day. There was no bridge over the Bill Williams river at the South end of the lake. You could go from Site Six to Route 66 - no I40 either - to needles then to Videl Junction then to the dam and take the dirt road to Roads End.
    Site Six consisted of two quanset huts and a few cabins and a 10,000 Ft. runway. Some folks flew in. The area was an R&R camp during WWII. There was a metal building next to the launch ramp that was referred to as the 'old government building'.
    And BTW nobody had air conditioners in their vehicles. A rather mello and relaxing time back then. Duck hunting was the big deal on the river below the dam!
    There still is an old metal building out there on the island that was from
    that era. I think they recently hired contractors to demo it or they already have. I am sure it was part of the airfield.

SandbarScot
    My first trip was in '78.
    All these pics are classic but that Site Six boat pic takes it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast