Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Wiring from Scratch

GAWnCA
    The only reason to have a ground wire from the gauge to the block is for the lighting circuit. It will have one from the SENDER to the block. You have 12V+ into the gauge and the "ground" to the sender.
    Hey Roostwear, I think I am in for some surprises when I start pulling out the old wire and doing it properly. Not to mention when I pull the NEW carpet out and see what's hiding under there. Oh well, one of these days everything will be corrected and the boat completed.

GAWnCA
    I don't know, never tried it, When I find something that works well I stick with it. In a saltwater boat if it can corrode, it will. Never had any problems with the heat shrink connectors as they seal both sides of the connection. You'll notice in the picture the small bead of sealant that squeezes out of the end of the connector.
    Hi Konabud,
    What in the amps on your circuit breaker? I like your neat wiring job.
    Greg

BrendellaJet
    Hi Konabud,
    What in the amps on your circuit breaker? I like your neat wiring job.
    Greg
    you need a 30 amp breaker.

Konabud
    What he said....

GAWnCA
    Thanks to both of you. I need to find one now.

BrendellaJet
    Try rex. I think a 30 amp fuse would work, you just have to replace it when it pops...
    Also, do yourself a favor and tear the wiring out of your boat. Start over. Its the easiest way and it will turn out super clean when done. Take your interior out also, that way you can lay down on your back and get under the dash. Your neck and back sound like they would appreciate that.

GAWnCA
    Try rex. I think a 30 amp fuse would work, you just have to replace it when it pops...
    Also, do yourself a favor and tear the wiring out of your boat. Start over. Its the easiest way and it will turn out super clean when done. Take your interior out also, that way you can lay down on your back and get under the dash. Your neck and back sound like they would appreciate that.
    You got that right about my back and neck. I kind of liked that idea (did you post that) where you draw up your dash on a seperate sheet of ply wood, heavy cardboard should work as well. and do all the wiring there on the table (if your wife isn't looking) and then install the gauges back in that order and then run the wires. I'm having one heck of a time finding the colors so I may do as someone suggested, run white wire and color code them with heat shrink tubing.
    My back and neck are going to love me crawling up in the bow to repair some glass up there. Oh well, when the wind is in my hair and some spray hit my face, I won't remember any of that.
    I don't think I want to use a fuse. So I'll look for the breaker.
    Thanks,
    Greg :coffeycup

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910