Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring from Scratch

Konabud
    Wouldn't good quality heat shrink tubing work just as well? The tubing I have when heated glues itself to the wire shielding and you have to strip back behind the tubing.
    I don't know, never tried it, When I find something that works well I stick with it. In a saltwater boat if it can corrode, it will. Never had any problems with the heat shrink connectors as they seal both sides of the connection. You'll notice in the picture the small bead of sealant that squeezes out of the end of the connector.
    Here's a link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/165-HEAT-SHRINK-...ategoryZ48716Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...The_stuff2.JPG

GAWnCA
    I don't know, never tried it, When I find something that works well I stick with it. In a saltwater boat if it can corrode, it will. Never had any problems with the heat shrink connectors as they seal both sides of the connection. You'll notice in the picture the small bead of sealant that squeezes out of the end of the connector.
    Here's a link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/165-HEAT-SHRINK-...ategoryZ48716Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...The_stuff2.JPG
    Neat job. I'm trying to figure out where you mounted the terminal block and what is the black tubing is that you put all your wires through. MORE PICTURES - Please.

BrendellaJet
    Neat job. I'm trying to figure out where you mounted the terminal block and what is the black tubing is that you put all your wires through. MORE PICTURES - Please.
    Thats a reverse mount starter(mounts at the top of the bell housing in the opposite direction of normal). Terminal block is between the transom and engine.
    That is a very clean set up. This thread has me itchin to tear into my boat this weekend and rip the wires out of it while I have the engine & pump out.

BrendellaJet
    I've got a good electronic supplies place here in town the problem is it's down town and I hate going down there, but for this project it may be the best thing to do and just buy a few extra of everything.
    Note: Buy everything in bulk. You will be glad you did. I cant tell you how many times I have had to stop what Im doing because I ran out of something.

GAWnCA
    Note: Buy everything in bulk. You will be glad you did. I cant tell you how many times I have had to stop what Im doing because I ran out of something.
    I plan to do that, just in case. I hate it when I run short and I'm doing a job. What guage wire do you recommend for most of the wiring?

BrendellaJet
    I used 3 sizes of wire. 14, 12 & 10. For gauges to sending units I used 14. From the ignition to the gauges(12v switched power) I used 14. From the starter to the ignition I used 10. From ignition back to starter(start signal wire) I used 14. For lengthening my MSD power & ground wires I used 12(I think) From the alternator to the starter(charging wire) I used 10.

Konabud
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...r_install2.JPG
    The black tubing is just the corrugated stuff that you can buy at any auto parts store. You'll have to cut me a little slack on some of the wires that aren't tied up yet as I wasn't quite finished at this point. The wussy starter wire also got replaced with this (the other end of the installation)
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...erstation2.JPG
    I had a problem with the boat starting the first season (combination of bad connections and the started getting flooded with water) NO MORE! I figure now if I run out of gas I can crank it home on the batteries. I know the alternator install looks a little funny being up high like that but this engine is in a tight box with only a lid on the top and it's really nice to get to this way.

GAWnCA
    The black tubing is just the corrugated stuff that you can buy at any auto parts store. You'll have to cut me a little slack on some of the wires that aren't tied up yet as I wasn't quite finished at this point. The wussy starter wire also got replaced with this (the other end of the installation)
    I had a problem with the boat starting the first season (combination of bad connections and the started getting flooded with water) NO MORE! I figure now if I run out of gas I can crank it home on the batteries. I know the alternator install looks a little funny being up high like that but this engine is in a tight box with only a lid on the top and it's really nice to get to this way.
    Damn nice work!! I'm gonna swipe your photos for reference. What is the black thing hanging on your terminal block bracket with the large red wire? And where did you find the spark plug wire looms?

Cas
    Damn nice work!! I'm gonna swipe your photos for reference. What is the black thing hanging on your terminal block bracket with the large red wire? And where did you find the spark plug wire looms?
    Greg,
    I have a set of those plug wire brackets/loom sitting on my garage doing nothing. For the cost of shipping, you can have them....they're not very heavy so I'm thinking $10.00 or so would cover it.

Konabud
    The black thing is the starter relay, a friend gave me the looms so I don't know where they came from. (I'd be jumpin all over those looms from CAS)
    By the way, HEY CAS HOWS IT GOIN?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast