Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Landing on a aircraft carrier

RitcheyRch
    Just think, in a few years unmanned aircraft will be landing on carriers. I worked on one that Northrop is in the process of building.

Caljamr
    Looks like it was taken from a S3 Viking
    Those Vikings are work horses. They were all fun to watch especially at night and in bad weather. Those pilots have got nerves of steal to handle that stress.

That Guy
    When i was stationed on the USS Enterprise and USS Abraham Lincoln I would always go up and watch the flight deck activities during my off time.
    Here is a good video of a jet landing on a carrier.
    http://www.break.com/index/aircraft_...lots_view.html
    Yeah but he can he do the spin out in the reeds evasion move???? Very cool video and I too have the utmost respect for those pilots....

Sleeper CP
    When i was stationed on the USS Enterprise and USS Abraham Lincoln I would always go up and watch the flight deck activities during my off time.
    Here is a good video of a jet landing on a carrier.
    http://www.break.com/index/aircraft_...lots_view.html
    I spoke to my Uncle this weekend (76 years old) he was both honored and privileged to have done this 887 times while wearing his wings.
    The count was alittle under 400 in his F-8 and a little over 400 in his F-4. The rest in various other planes including his prop trainer.
    Talk about a bitchen job.
    Sleeper CP

DaddyMack
    My Ex- Father in law was a Navy Pilot... don't remember the carriers he was on....dangerous but necessary job......His wife got visited three times by Men in Dress whites... but each time he was lucky... he loved it... always talked about it and loved every minute of it...
    He was a great guy.

Caljamr
    I spoke to my Uncle this weekend (76 years old) he was both honored and privileged to have done this 887 times while wearing his wings.
    The count was alittle under 400 in his F-8 and a little over 400 in his F-4. The rest in various other planes including his prop trainer.
    Talk about a bitchen job.
    Sleeper CP
    Wow that's amazing i always wondered what the average carrier landings for a pilot would be.
    887 is just crazy amounts of landings.

Sleeper CP
    Wow that's amazing i always wondered what the average carrier landings for a pilot would be.
    887 is just crazy amounts of landings.
    Yes 887 is over the top, way above average. I think that was five F-8 cruises and eight F-4 cruises (?). They flew a lot or missions over Vietnam.
    Sleeper CP

Caljamr
    Well i just got back from taking my dad down to San Diego and visiting the USS Midway museum. Got some great pics i'll post later. He was stationed on the Midway from 68-73 then retired in '76. It was cool to see where he worked and hung out and i got to hear all of the tall tales. There were some other guys there that served during the same time and they swapped stories.
    If you ever have the chance to get down to Navy Pier in San Diego it's worth the trip.

boatsnblondes
    Flew SAR for the Navy for 6 years...started on call SAR out of San Diego, then went to Enterprise, then back east to Nimitz, had a great time....buzzing downtown SD was great on teh way back in, as was buzzing Honalulu also....those flightdeck apes are still as good as they ever were...lots of fun to watch them...and it's interesting to note, that thought the hand signs and signals for the yellow shirts are the same, each deck crew gives it an indivual flair all they own....fun to watch...

DeltaSigBoater
    Well i just got back from taking my dad down to San Diego and visiting the USS Midway museum. Got some great pics i'll post later. He was stationed on the Midway from 68-73 then retired in '76. It was cool to see where he worked and hung out and i got to hear all of the tall tales. There were some other guys there that served during the same time and they swapped stories.
    If you ever have the chance to get down to Navy Pier in San Diego it's worth the trip.
    Did the USS Midway tour in '05, very cool to say the least.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast