Thread: Garmin GPS - SD card?

hkunz
    I just got my new Garmin 430s sounder/GPS for the Advantage. Yes, we're putting a fish finder in an X-Flight 29 The instructions say to download the new software from the Garmin site into an "SD" card. What is an SD card? I have cards for my Kodak camera that say SD on them, are they the same thing? I don't think I have an SD reader/writer on my computer, since I don't remeber ordering one installed when I had it built. What do I need?

Cheap Thrills
    You can get a SD card reader/ writer for your PC for about 20 bones at walmart.
    If you can access the card through the camera via your PC try writing to it that way. It's worth a try.
    OR,, alot of photo printers have an SD card reader /writer. if you or anyone you know has one, you could write the new software to the SD card through it.
    Good Luck.
    T.

wideopen545
    hook your cam up to your comp just like your down loading your pics
    then go to your desktop click my comp find to cam and use it as a storage and load to the cam then remove your card a put it in your gps

hkunz
    I opulled the spare card out and stuck it in the GPS, it fit. So, then I tried using the camera, but Kodak recently "upgraded" the software, so now i can't find it on "My Computer". I guess it is off to WallyWorld to find the reader to plug in - I only have 6 USB ports, and I'm running out fast I guess that the old USB to Garmin-specific card reader won't be usefull any more, since my Street Pilot (that used the same special Garmin card) also died. Thanks!

wideopen545
    make sure your camara is turned on or the comp will not find it

hkunz
    I found an SD card reader/adapter from GE at Circuit City for $9.99, and it loaded the program onto my new X2 2GB SD card. Seems like a lot of card for the job. Anyway, thanks for the help!

496mag
    hook your cam up to your comp just like your down loading your pics
    then go to your desktop click my comp find to cam and use it as a storage and load to the cam then remove your card a put it in your gps
    I have the garmin gps for kenwood in my truck and it has the sd slot also but if you are going to do updates you have to buy a second card because the updates do not download to the unit they remain on the card so you cant remove it.