Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me about Jeeps!

Troy McClure
    I like auto & 6 cyl better but, why don't they come with lockers? or do they?
    A friend of mine bought a Rubicon Unlimited for about $19k (so he says???). Rubicons come with lockers front and rear, four wheel disks and a few other goodies, stock.
    However, as SW posted above the 44's it comes with are not TRUE 44's. However, for what it sounds like you are using it for you shouldn't have a problem with it.

CMac
    Our 2004 is perfect for average use. It would do things that will scare the s#%t out of you and drive down the highway at 80 no problem.
    This sport was going to be traded yesterday for a new GMC 4X4 with the new 0.0 interest, but I just couldn't do it. It's to much fun.
    http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/CIMG0083.jpg

Todd969
    Hey Rick, you're welcome to take ours for a drive. It's just a stock 06' Rubi with a 2 1/2" lift. Great for around town and trails. Call me if interested.
    Todd
    http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1187411774

boats&bars
    how about a Bronco, they might surprise you.

jeeperaz
    Might want to consider a Toyota Land Cruiser, for 10k you could get a 96-97 with factory lockers. These are tanks and by far the best TLC's made. Most have yet to see the dirt, plus they can hold up to 7 peeps and still tow 5k. Any unlike a jeep they are very very reliable.
    Yeah, until the head gasket blows on you. I owned an 80 series cruiser and will never buy another one. Dont get me wrong, I loved it but I can never have confidence in another one after the head gasket blew in mine and then finding out how common of a problem it is. Major, major weak point!
    Plus they arent that reliable. I never want to see another birfield joint as long as I live.

sorry dog
    Might want to consider a Toyota Land Cruiser, for 10k you could get a 96-97 with factory lockers. These are tanks and by far the best TLC's made. Most have yet to see the dirt, plus they can hold up to 7 peeps and still tow 5k. Any unlike a jeep they are very very reliable.
    Ding ding... we have a winner.
    My DD is a 62.
    Only have had to replace u-joints and fluids. Has 140k on the clock...friend has an 80 with 235k HARD (I'm usually the recovery vehicle) miles and no major work.

Blew By You
    I have a '92 jeep yj 6cylinder thats the year they switched to fuel injection. i picked it up for 6k and it runs great it rides pretty smooth but that might be from the 35'' tires i have under it LOL good thinig bout em is they are easy to lift and pretty easy on your wallet.

Sportin' Wood
    Sounds like a TJ with a hard top is what you need Rick. I would stick with a 32" tire or under. This is as long as you keep to the Light wheeling part of your discription. A rubicon would be fine for what you want to do. I would love to get ahold of an Unlimited Rubicon stick some 32" BFG AT's and call it good. Keep the lift down. Look at the relationship of the Tie Rod and drag link. They should be as close to the same angle as possible to keep the bump steer at bay. I have seen people do crazy stuff to the TJ to get big tires under it. Sway bars and panhard bars need to be on the car if you wanna drive around town.
    As far as lockers, I would suggest a selectable locker. I am a big cheerleader of ARB air lockers, that has been my first choice for over 15 years. Detroits and lunch box lockers get hairy on the street when the roads are wet or in snow. Limited slip might be good enough for what you plan to do.
    The Ox locker is selectable, but I have no experience with it. Some people have had bad luck with ARB, but I have had nothing but good, and I beat on my cars pretty hard. ARB customer service is outstanding.
    Now I gotta pimp my buddy.
    For all your offroad parts needs,
    www.rockbuggysupply.com.
    Call Scott and ask him about anything offroad and he will get it to your door quickly and at the best price possible.
    Good luck Rick, maybe we can get you out to a race?

OCMerrill
    We have a 05 Rubi Unlimited and it has been great. We have had our jeep places in stock form that give a good pucker factor. Especially for the money.
    It depends on what you want to do with it but for us the Rubicon package was worth the cost. In two+ years and allot of trail use nothing has failed.
    We just go back from a 4 day Pismo trip. Would not be the same without our Jeep.
    Something we will have for along time to come.
    One note: We have the 6sp and I might reconsider that choice. A real grumpy trans to put it mildly.

nodigg
    Sounds like a TJ with a hard top is what you need Rick. I would stick with a 32" tire or under. This is as long as you keep to the Light wheeling part of your discription. A rubicon would be fine for what you want to do. I would love to get ahold of an Unlimited Rubicon stick some 32" BFG AT's and call it good. Keep the lift down. Look at the relationship of the Tie Rod and drag link. They should be as close to the same angle as possible to keep the bump steer at bay. I have seen people do crazy stuff to the TJ to get big tires under it. Sway bars and panhard bars need to be on the car if you wanna drive around town.
    As far as lockers, I would suggest a selectable locker. I am a big cheerleader of ARB air lockers, that has been my first choice for over 15 years. Detroits and lunch box lockers get hairy on the street when the roads are wet or in snow. Limited slip might be good enough for what you plan to do.
    The Ox locker is selectable, but I have no experience with it. Some people have had bad luck with ARB, but I have had nothing but good, and I beat on my cars pretty hard. ARB customer service is outstanding.
    Now I gotta pimp my buddy.
    For all your offroad parts needs,
    www.rockbuggysupply.com.
    Call Scott and ask him about anything offroad and he will get it to your door quickly and at the best price possible.
    Good luck Rick, maybe we can get you out to a race?
    Just waitin for the invite! And thanks for the info.
    Thanks Todd and everyone else for the insights. Keep 'em coming.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast