Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Educate me about Jeeps!

Sportin' Wood
    Hey Angie! We bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport and want to go play this winter with it! It's my "new but old" daily driver now. If you guys would want to show us some trails one of these weekends that would be fun! Nothing crazy though since it's not a rock crawler We had a blast in Truckhaven over Thanksgiving with the Rhino/Quads but now it's time to take the jeep out there
    Truckhaven is always fun.

Sportin' Wood
    Just waitin for the invite! And thanks for the info.
    Thanks Todd and everyone else for the insights. Keep 'em coming.
    Sept 29th Camp Rock Road Lucurne course A
    There is a Rock Crawling event the same weekend a couple miles down the road so you can get two events in the same weekend.

Mrs. casean
    Truckhaven is always fun.
    We'll have to plan a weekend out there with you guys! You are far more familiar with the area than we are! We just started to venture out there way last year and had a blast!

bilgewiper
    If you are looking at Tj's the 4.0l are bullitproof. But at at around 90k-110k miles they all preety much need a new radiator and exhaust manifold (they crack) thats really their only weekness.
    For price comparison I bought this one a couple of years ago for $8k with factory hardtop and doors, A/c, but, with the weak axles.
    They are alot of fun but I sure wouldn't want a long commute in one every day.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...01_Medium_.jpg

Sportin' Wood
    We'll have to plan a weekend out there with you guys! You are far more familiar with the area than we are! We just started to venture out there way last year and had a blast!
    We have been staying away from truckhaven for the most part because the secret got about how great it was. It seems a little crowded nowadays.
    You can get yourself into all kinds of trouble out there. TDS safari used to be a blast out there but I don't see them moving it back any time soon.
    Talk Angie into a trip out there, sounds like fun. I spend most of my Offroading time allotment Pre running or working on my Rock Crawling event planned for Feb 2008. Johnson Valley is where I go most of the time But Angie hates that place, so I go solo or with the Boy.

minimatt
    I was on the Rubicon last week and ran across a group (only one group, can you beleive it?) of TJ's. One of the guys had a bone stock Sahara with 1 inch coil spacer lift and 31" Goodyear MTR's. No gears, no lockers, no sliders, no winch, no nothing. He made it through with no mechanical or body damage and no assistance. According to him, keeping tire size down seems to keep the drivetrain intact. Being a decent driver and not getting crazy with the stupid pedal helps, too. This group was all from the Seattle area and most did not trailer their Jeeps to the trail. It is amazing what they can do in stock form.

WishIknew
    I like the old school jeeps, 78 CJ7 with a 304 and TH400 auto, rough ride, classic looks, fun to drive...or go old man..97+ If I were to buy a newer one I would go Rubicon, Danas, lockers front and rear, 4:1 crawl, great ride, plenty of power when geared, chipped and a few other minor mods....hard top, auto and air...go play then drive it home in comfort..Waiting for a 5.7 hemi conversion soon.....
    That jeep was built before computers!!!!!!!What ya goin a chip???????????????? The paint LOL LOL

WishIknew
    Do NOT get the 4 banger.......dont care how many gears you have.
    I dont buy this BS Gearing is everything!!

PaPaG
    That jeep was built before computers!!!!!!!What ya goin a chip???????????????? The paint LOL LOL
    It will still outclimb any 4 banger with gears I WishIKnew out here..take that thing out of hiding and lets go for a test ride and see

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast