Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: normal pull on steering

BobbyB
    what's a normal amount of pull on the steering? I have a noticeable pull to the left. Is that due to the direction of prop/water vortex?
    Does this make turning one direction better than another?

VD CRUISER
    If your engine is mounted with the flywheel forward you should have a little pull to the right. Don't understand why it would pull to the left. My Howard pulls just enough that if you take your hands off the wheel the boat will begin to turn gradually. If I nail the throttle it will pull harder, depending on which prop I am using. The three blade will pull more than the two blade. With the two blade once I get wound up it doesn't pull either way. Usually the boat will turn better to the direction of the pull.

GofastRacer
    Also if the rudder is offset it can cause it to pull!..

sawtooth
    I know it's different because it is an outdrive but my 21RC pulled to the left pretty good anywhere below 40-45mph then when I would add a little trim and make a speed run anything above 50mph it would switch to pulling right. It was pretty weird, just had to remember that when getting out of the throtel the positive left steering you had in it was going to change back to positive right.....kept me on my toes.

BobbyB
    I am running a 3 blade Menkins prop. Yes, the harder I'm into the throttle, the more she pulls. Did I say Left? Maybe I meant Right. It does turn better to the right (easier). It must be that way. I am taking it out again this weekend, and I will pay more attention before I reply again. Basically, I'll get my sh#t straight and get back to you......
    Thanks,

79 Howard
    could be cav plate adjustment or single ram sterring

revndave
    I am running a 3 blade Menkins prop. Yes, the harder I'm into the throttle, the more she pulls. Did I say Left? Maybe I meant Right. It does turn better to the right (easier). It must be that way. I am taking it out again this weekend, and I will pay more attention before I reply again. Basically, I'll get my sh#t straight and get back to you......
    Thanks,
    My 21RC pulls to the right.RBR said it was bow steer,caused by the prop and too much tail lift.I had a 3 blade menkins.Switched to a RBR 2 blade.Will try it this weekend at Parker.

revndave
    Still pulls.Going to have steering checked

BobbyB
    Revndave, what was you conclusion? I started to notice a little play in the helm, followed by a lot. I ended up having to replace the steering box, and the cable we were at it. I don't know if the problems were related, I'll find out soon when I get it out for a test run.

Some people have usedgear drive steering boxes in Day Crusiers and flat bottoms with mixed results, to mitigate the torque steer. I put one in my Schiada years ago when I did the installation and it worked great. Some say that you loose too much feel of the boat wiith them and some don't.
    Also, the more trim you use on an outdrive the more torque steer you will normally get. Hydraulic steering helps this a ton... Just my $0.02 worth...
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast