Thread: AZ DUI Checkpoints now thru Labor Day

DILLIGAF
    DUI Task Force To Strike Hard
    PHOENIX - In 2005, nearly 13,000 people died in highway crashes involving a driver or motorcycle operator with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher. In Arizona, 492 of the stateÂ’s 1,179 traffic-related fatalities that year involved alcohol; 434 of them had a BAC of .08 or higher. The offense is bad and the punishment for DUI is harsh (in most cases.) The Arizona GovernorÂ’s Office of Highway Safety (GOHS) and the Arizona DUI Task Forces have announced they will be joining with thousands of other law enforcement and highway safety agencies from August 17 throughout the Labor Day holiday to take part in the "Drunk Driving - Over the Limit - Under Arrest" crackdown on impaired driving.
    In a strongly worded statement, said GOHS Director Richard Fimbres said “Make no mistake. Our message is simple. No matter what you drive-a passenger car, pickup, sport utility vehicle or motorcycle-if we catch you driving impaired, we will arrest you. No exceptions. No excuses,”
    During the 2006 Labor Day DUI Crackdown, 734 impaired drivers were cited for impaired driving in Arizona. Officers on special enforcement details will be out removing these dangerous drivers this year through sobriety checkpoints and saturation patrols.
    Effective September 19, Arizona will add another penalty aimed at reducing repeat offenders: Mandatory ignition interlock devices (IID) for all offenders. Currently IIDs are only required for aggravated and extreme DUIs. This action is the result of Senate Bill 1029 that Governor Janet Napolitano signed into law earlier this year.
    Arizona is just the second state (along with New Mexico) to make it mandatory for all offenders to have an "IID."
    The national "Drunk Driving - Over the Limit - Under Arrest" impaired driving crackdown is a prevention program organized by the U.S. Department of TransportationÂ’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that focuses on combining high-visibility enforcement with heightened public awareness through advertising and publicity.

Trailer Park Casanova
    MY DD has a Calif Learners Permit.
    Is it good in AZ?

YeLLowBoaT
    Is it good in AZ?
    I have no idea, but it does not matter as in order to drive with a permit you need to have a licenced driver over the age of 25 that can take control in need be( IE front seat and able to drive) not exactly sure what would happen if you got pulled over. I have a feeling like its going to hurt both of you.

Havasu Luvr
    Damm it Tom ! ! ! you focking "Drama Queen" did you get this info from the associated press?
    Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
    Fockin Drama Queens again. Heard from your third cousin's friend who got a parking ticket from the Police once and knows the meter maid...You should think about getting a job at the New York Times or the Associated Press. The don't confirm their stories either...

GHT
    Sounds good to me. Reading things like this just reinforce the reason we call the Taxi for rides. Plus waiting for the taxi kind of gives everyone a nice "happy hour" to hang out and chat prior to going out..
    Don't DUI...
    Thanks Tom

Goad
    Is it good in AZ?
    I'm gunna say it depends on the cop....personally, if i was the cop, id let it slide.
    yes, the situation isnt 100% right as previously said, but at least you chose to do the right thing by not driving.

Boatcop
    Is it good in AZ?
    The reason a person with a learner's permit needs an adult in the car, is so the adult can assist the permitted driver and possibly take control of the vehicle in an emergency.
    It could be said that the adult IS in actual physical control of the vehicle, and they could be charged with DUI.
    I've seen it happen a few times.

PaPaG
    Would be nice but we all know it would never happen: All that needs to be done is for LEO's to sit at every heavy active launch ramp from Lake Mohave
    to Parker and they will triple if not quadruple that DUI figure....
    We see people getting off their boats and into their trucks that cant even walk because they are so hammered but not enough LEO's to take care of it..