Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Southwind Tunnel??

El Prosecutor
    In my endless tire kicking I ran in to a guy that has a late 70's Southwind Tunnel that looks like the one in the picture below. It has O.K. paint with a few dings here and there, decent trailer, tires, wheels, stated reliable / stock 460 with Weiand Stealth intake, points style ignition, OT headers and a fiberglass scoop, cav plates, no diverter. Gauges are no good, buckets and bench near new.
    I would like to know your opinions on the general value of these hulls, performance expectations, etc. Strongly considering it as a fall/winter project, need to know what it is worth and if it is worth it.
    This is NOT the boat I am looking at, it is just an example of a similar hull:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...79DSC01207.JPG

BrendellaJet
    You should buy my boat. Just lowered the price...Save all the money you'd spend fixing an old boat up and use it to make some horsepower.
    Ill let the Southwind Bro's tell you all about these boats, My understanding is that they need big horsepower to get to a point where the tunnels are working well. Solid boats and are safe. Check out the placecraft thread, BP posted some informative stuff about them in there...

rivrrts429
    Contact FOURQ or Nuckin Futs here on the boards, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Lots of good info.

Nucking futs
    Its worth whatever your willing to pay for it. They are very safe hulls to well over a 100. I will tell you that I bought mine some years ago less engine for around 4k. It had a full race R pump stainless imp,AQ shaft stuffer ect ect and It had an R intake. The boat was basically ready for the water when I got it but I decided to do a full on referbish job on it.
    Mouzer pretty much killed the value of these hulls on HB when he was horse trading them a few years ago and not to many people are interested in them to much anymore with all the lightweight stuff that is around now. Everyone says they take gobbs of HP to make them run,but I call bull$hit on that. What it concidered "make them work or run good" and what is concidered a ton of hp? there have been several in the triple digets with just over 500 hp. Its all in the set up. If you like the boat and want one then its all up to you really, I grew up with these boats and will always have a special connection to them.

mouzer
    i sent ya a pm....regarding value..what nuckingfuts says is true...there still kinda hard to find and there are people who are still lookin for them,,as for myself i found like 4 of them in one year all less motors for a descent price and have not found any cheap in over 2yrs,hard to find again. but seems to me everyone went to daytonas / and cp;s in the last 2 years but i would love to find another swtd project otherwise if i had the cash i would def take the one pictured above. MoUz

bp
    Everyone says they take gobbs of HP to make them run,but I call bull$hit on that. What it concidered "make them work or run good" and what is concidered a ton of hp? Its all in the set up. If you like the boat and want one then its all up to you really, I grew up with these boats and will always have a special connection to them.
    i agree. futz, it looks like you're finally gettin' it
    there have been several in the triple digets with just over 500 hp. .
    this, i have a little more difficulty with. i'm not sure what is meant by "just over", but to get any jet over 350lbs to an honest triple digit with 500hp, regardless of design, to me is a stretch, so i have a difficult time believing it. regardless, a sw is a fun boat to run even with less than 500hp...

disco_charger
    That's a good picture.

Nucking futs
    i agree. futz, it looks like you're finally gettin' it
    this, i have a little more difficulty with. i'm not sure what is meant by "just over", but to get any jet over 350lbs to an honest triple digit with 500hp, regardless of design, to me is a stretch, so i have a difficult time believing it. regardless, a sw is a fun boat to run even with less than 500hp...
    Well, first my dads dynoed @ 500 hp and it ran 103 all day long, war horse ran river racer jet and ran @ 106 and that was with and olds. Time tunnel ran 96 with 500 hp and I have rode in a nice stock 454 with a pfm turbo set up that makes about 550 and it ran 103 in needles.I know its hard to beleive Bob, but I think we have the heavy hulls. Shawns old one was a hell of alot lighter than mine and it was @ 87 with basiclly no set up on it. Im not saying that these are all 1/4 mile speeds, I legged shawns for a 1/2 mile to get it to 87 and it was still creeping up.
    We both know speed dont win races...

El Prosecutor
    This is the one I'm looking at. No better pics.
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t.../Southwind.jpg

Nucking futs
    how much?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast