Thread: hp uprades

JakeC.
    a friend of a friend has a 350 mercruiser that is efi. it is in a big 26 foot reinker or some brand like that, he wasnt to clear. he said that with a full load of people and gear that the boat has problems getting on plain, like it is down on power. my question is, does anyone here know of a good hp gain that he can do that is not to involved. something like a new chip or a good small bolt on super charger kit that is available for these engines. well any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SmokinLowriderSS
    The only thing that will be effictive at solving your buddy's lack of HP in a fully loaded 26' boat, is a big block, and all the muscle in it he can get.
    Any HP upgraders from a PRO)M chip may be what, 25-3o HP? Never be noticed.
    Supercharge the snot out of it and maybe make improvements, till something breaks.
    Your friend went small on the motor, in a big boat, and now can't load it to the max and get it to move.

ck7684
    You could try something like this...
    http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,24798.htm
    My dad had one on his boat and it helped with planning out tremendously...

cfm
    First thing to make sure is that it is propped correctly.
    Take it out and see what top rpm is. If it is lower than manufacturer suggested rpm then he needs a smaller prop. A smaller prop will also get it to plane more quickly.
    If the prop is fine light to medium loaded and not heavy loaded, he may need a different prop for being heavy loaded. The need for two props does happen time to time, usually with a big boat with smaller motor and especially one that gets filled up with people.
    If boat gets used more often heavy loaded then just run that smaller prop and make sure not to over rev when lightly loaded.
    BTW: Trim tabs and different prop styles can make a slow planing boat plane a lot faster also.

JakeC.
    i took a quick look at it, and it has one of those dual prop outdrive deals. he was saying that it takes off fine when it is not heavy loaded. i was thinking that maybe osme trim tabs or something like that would problably work fine for when it has a lot of wieght. well i will tell the guy whats up and what he should try. thatnks for some of the sugestions, if you have anymore let me know.