Thread: 454/496 Engine

howard25bullet
    I have a 454 in my jet boat that threw a valve yesterday and demolished the piston and scoured the cylinder. It's a Gen 4 BBC that is stock from what I can tell. It also has an Edelbrock tunnel ram.
    I'm starting to look for alternatives to replacing the engine including 454/496 short and long blocks or complete engines.
    Does anyone have any thoughts or engine options? I'm not in a huge rush on this but would like to keep moving forward with it at a reasonable pace.
    Thanks,
    Bill

sanger rat
    You can't beat building a 496 for a Jet Boat. I would look for something with aftermarket crank like a Eagle or Scat. H-beam rods of either brand. Forged pistons JE, SRP, Probe. For heads a set of steel Merlins or aluminums such as Dart, Canfields, AFR or RHS. Shop around. There are deals to be had. Might find something in the Spam section.

Partycattin
    CStraub has a fresh 496 short block for sale in the spam section for $3k and change. Might be a good fit for you.

howard25bullet
    Thanks for the info and ideas.
    I sent Chris a PM on the 496 and I've also sent a PM on some Merlin Heads in the Spam section. Haven't heard back on either yet...
    Anyone else out there got some "great deals" going?
    Thanks,
    Bill

jkh04200
    Just a thought!
    Have you considerd a 460 ford. Myu buddy is a major gear head and has had a dozen "race cars". From his experince and from what a very respected performance engine bulder down here has said the " the ford is so much easier to build power with and less expensive". Now, small blocks thats a diffrent story.

howard25bullet
    Thanks for the thought!
    I really haven't given it too much thought since I've got BBC tunnel ram intake, exhaust headers, oil pan, starter and so on. So, If I do get a BBC short or long block then I've got some of the components already. Starting over with Ford would be more expensive for me and I don't want to get too much deeper than I already am.
    Thanks,
    Bill

E-mail sent

jkh04200
    I understand how that goes. I wonder why you don't see more BBF in boats though

f_inscreenname
    I understand how that goes. I wonder why you don't see more BBF in boats though
    For the same reason you don't see BB Chrysler's either. BB Chevy's are just to damn cheap.