Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BoatCop: Wake Surfing Takes ?

Trailer Park Casanova
    It's the BFD now. Wakesurfing.
    Instead of letting go of the rope wakeboard style, most are simply sliding off the back of the swimstep with the boat underway/ in motion, sometime requiring others to be back there to steady them. Especially when instructing them.
    I don't mind too much with my direct drive,, but with a exposed prop boat gotta be hairy.
    Our kids are fearless and nudging us to let them do it.
    WTF with any restrictions or rules.
    Any takes?
    -----------------
    Pothole in the lake:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=BwU192VU8ck

DMOORE
    With an outdrive , it would be nuts. No prob with the direct drive. Props way up there. BTW, last summer we were on San Diego bay, and two guys were wake surfing a 80ft yaht. One on each side of the wake. The boat was putting out a 6ft wake!!! Looked like a lot of fun.
    Darrell.

HighRoller
    The biggest stupidity factor from wake surfing is the exhaust. If you have one person sitting on the swimstep at speed holding another person up you have two potential drownings from Carbon Monoxide. Wake surfing is almost as dumb as teak surfing...Once you get a little woozy you're at the mercy of fate.

pw_Tony
    I've been wakesurfing several times, I love it. But with a direct drive boat I wouldn't worry. I've never gona off the rear step, but I always used a rope and then let go. And I have never gonw fast, usually between 5-10mph

Boatcop
    The biggest danger is Carbon Monoxide. But there's also laws that prevent people from riding on the transom or swim step while the boat is above a wakeless speed. That would include someone getting ready to "surf" behind the boat.
    And although there are no laws against wake surfing, there are some serious dangers. While the person is initially being towed they're usually laying down, about 5 feet back of the boat. The boat is beginning to accelerate, pumping tremendous amounts of CO right into their face. Now if they get up right away, that's not too big of a problem since their head is now up into fresh air.
    But if someone is struggling to get up, like a beginner, and is laying down for a significant period of time, they can take in a fatal level of CO in a couple of breaths.
    Also, since these boats are going relatively slow and in a bow-up attitude due to the ballast or wing, there is a low pressure area in the passenger area created by the boat's windshield. This sucks the CO back into where everybody is, exposing them to CO. This is called the "Station Wagon" effect.
    A few years ago, teak dragging was the hot thing. Until people started dying from it. Now there are laws prohibiting it. I don't advocate making any laws banning this or that activity. I just want to make sure that people know the dangers and act accordingly.

vmjtc3
    My take on the subject, if you have to think twice about it, its probably not a good ideal.

Trailer Park Casanova
    I think we'll pass on wakesurfing.
    I'll switch the subject to kneeboarding when the bring it up.

Coach
    The biggest danger is Carbon Monoxide. But there's also laws that prevent people from riding on the transom or swim step while the boat is above a wakeless speed. That would include someone getting ready to "surf" behind the boat.
    And although there are no laws against wake surfing, there are some serious dangers. While the person is initially being towed they're usually laying down, about 5 feet back of the boat. The boat is beginning to accelerate, pumping tremendous amounts of CO right into their face. Now if they get up right away, that's not too big of a problem since their head is now up into fresh air.
    But if someone is struggling to get up, like a beginner, and is laying down for a significant period of time, they can take in a fatal level of CO in a couple of breaths.
    Also, since these boats are going relatively slow and in a bow-up attitude due to the ballast or wing, there is a low pressure area in the passenger area created by the boat's windshield. This sucks the CO back into where everybody is, exposing them to CO. This is called the "Station Wagon" effect.
    A few years ago, teak dragging was the hot thing. Until people started dying from it. Now there are laws prohibiting it. I don't advocate making any laws banning this or that activity. I just want to make sure that people know the dangers and act accordingly.
    When wakesurfing you don't lay down like a traditional surfer would (I think guys did this at first but almost does this now because it is much harder). You place your feet on the board like you would be wakeboarding and you get up the same way but with out bindings like wakeboarding. I have spent countless hours this last year wakesurfing and teaching many more and have yet to have one encounter with anyone getting a woosy feeling. Plus when wake surfing you wear your PDF! They do make a product called Fresh Air Exhaust for Direct Drive and V-drive boats to redirect the CO2. Check this out and let us know your thoughts. www.freshairexhaust.com

Coach
    I think we'll pass on wakesurfing.
    I'll switch the subject to kneeboarding when the bring it up.
    TPC I can tell you it is one of the best things you will do. We have had a blast learning and doing the wakesurfing this last season. Most of us guys over 35 now wakesurf more than wakeboard because it hurts less and is a blast. I taught 15 different people how to wakesurf this last year. Once guys started doing it we were doing runs all day. Just don't ever do it behind any other boat than an Inboard. And if CO2 is a worry check out the FAE www.freshairexhaust.com Plus you are a Tige guy and SurfDad on WakeWorld and Tigeowners is one of the biggest advocates of the sport.

Boatcop
    When wakesurfing you don't lay down like a traditional surfer would (I think guys did this at first but almost does this now because it is much harder). You place your feet on the board like you would be wakeboarding and you get up the same way but with out bindings like wakeboarding. I have spent countless hours this last year wakesurfing and teaching many more and have yet to have one encounter with anyone getting a woosy feeling. Plus when wake surfing you wear your PDF! They do make a product called Fresh Air Exhaust for Direct Drive and V-drive boats to redirect the CO2. Check this out and let us know your thoughts. www.freshairexhaust.com
    First I've seen of the Fresh Air Exhaust. Looks like it would take care of the CO problem.
    As far as the technique for getting up on a surfboard. Those trained by someone who knows what they're doing wouldn't be a problem. But we all know that very few people on the water have ANY kind of boating training and learn by trial and error.
    Unfortunately, some of those errors prove fatal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast