Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filter Requirement?

Sleeper CP
    Hey Guys what do you think about this?
    Earl's offers the 80 micron fuel filter and they also have the 30 micron screen pre-filter. I am considering running the less restrictive 30 micron pre-filter and calling it good. Filter is between tank and pump. What do you think?
    The fuel pumps are two new Holley HP 150's one for each tank. Fuel lines are -8s. The pumps run with a 3-way switch; left, right or both.
    Thanks
    Sleeper CP
    565" Ford Lover, 1,000+ HP Safely used since 1992

cfm
    I like to run a coarse one before an electric pump and a fine one after. Anything that can impede flow to an elctric pump may cause problems. A fine one after for if the pump destructs we don't want that stuff getting to the FI or Carb.

Willis
    Put the filter on the pull side
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...lSeparater.jpg
    81794 High Performance Filter Head
    High Performance up to 25 GPM
    Dual Inlets and outlets allows choice of flow direction
    Ideal for dual fuel pumps or dual carburetors
    Kit features cast aluminum filter mount, Perma-Cool®24,000 mile filter element, two pipe plugs.
    Port size:1/2 NPT(int)

Sleeper CP
    Willis,
    Thanks for the info. I thought about using one of those large units except that my engine compartment in the CP 19 is already a little cramped.
    Thanks,
    Sleeper CP

Willis
    CP
    I’ve had great success with this filter on both my pleasure boat and the race.
    The filter/water separator free flows more than the engine uses so there will not be a starvation issue.

texas-19
    Hey Guys what do you think about this?
    Earl's offers the 80 micron fuel filter and they also have the 30 micron screen pre-filter. I am considering running the less restrictive 30 micron pre-filter and calling it good. Filter is between tank and pump. What do you think?
    The fuel pumps are two new Holley HP 150's one for each tank. Fuel lines are -8s. The pumps run with a 3-way switch; left, right or both.
    Thanks
    Sleeper CP
    565" Ford Lover, 1,000+ HP Safely used since 1992
    The less restrictive one would be the 80 micron.

cfm
    Do your pump a favor and run a non restricting filter in frt of it. A little piece of sand or other smegma can jam / break / or loosen up it's clearances in a heartbeat.Elec pumps don't like to pull and do like a pretty large inlet line. Thus the reason for a larger micron filter. Kind of like what a 'sock' in the tank under your pump is for your car.
    Run a filter after the pump. Preferably as close to carb or fuel injectors as possible. A disentigrating pump or piece of fuel line can ruin your day/week/month/season in a heartbeat.
    A call to any electric pump manufacturer will probably end up with the same tech advice I've given.
    Just my 02.

PC Rat
    1 micron is 1/1000 of a millimeter.
    1 micron is about .00003937".
    80 microns would be about .0031"
    30 microns would be about .0018"
    Question for you guys. How do the water separater filters actually separate the water from the fuel?

Sleeper CP
    Thanks for the useful info guys. Each pump fed by a -8 line will get a
    pre-filter and a filter will be placed right before the regulator at the carb.
    And thanks for the measurement size. For some reason it was in my head that the micron size was like wire mesh screen size: 200 mesh is twice as small as 100 mesh.
    Sleeper CP
    565" Ford Lover

cfm
    1 micron is 1/1000 of a millimeter.
    Question for you guys. How do the water separater filters actually separate the water from the fuel?
    They are canister style filters - like that Permacool pictured above.
    Outlet is the spin on part. This only goes down a few inches into the filter/seperator. Since water is heavier than gas, the water will stay on the bottom. Therefore, about half or so of canister filter will hold and keep water from going into the outlet and thus carb or injectors. Since the spin on fitting (outlet) is fixed, the bigger the element the more water it will hold.
    They still don't hold much water but it is better than nothing. It will not cure a tank of bad water laden gas or a gas cap or vent that let's water in. Will help with normal tank sweating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast