Lots of carb problems with the Erudes.
Thousands of them were sold back then with the wrong carbs mistakenly installed at the factory on the big motors.
Later on in the 90's, the Fieght fuel injection model Erudes self destructed in hours. This led to the bankruptcy of Erude/Johnson, and boats being added to the Lemon Law in California.
Kawasaki also used the Fieght fuel injection in their 2 strokes, but modified it with good success.
The new Erudes/Johnson (now owned by Bombardier), adopted some innovations, and added a fuel diffuser in the atomized fuel path to break up the shock of the spritz from the injector.
The jury is still out if this is successful. Mixed reviews in the trade magazines.
The new Fuel Injected Mercurys have intermittant power loss, and emission control issues effecting the reliability of the motors.
I had the new Omnimax 250 last year and hated it. Bumped into two Merc mechanics at the On Ramp bar and they told me about the troubles with the FI Merc outboards, and that the power loss was inhearant to the emission controls trying to meet CARB standards.
The NOX sensor leans the engine out to much causing problems. So I'm told,, damfino.
I think pound for pound,, nothing costs more than an outboard, or holds it's value as good. They are expen$ive.
The big Honda 4 stroke outboards are based on the Accord motors and are outstanding.
The 4 stroke Mercury outboards are made by Yamaha.
My 2 stroke days are over. The Merc cured us forever. Except for my sons Go peds, and I wish they were 4 stroke.
[ May 29, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]