Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Water Leak.

Just got done 2 days ago,putting the 35deg. snails back onto boat, after I polished them and the logs. Installed the Banderlog diverter relay, Place diverter, rudder, upgraded SE ramp loader, new inner tip flappers and rebuilt the Holley carb. Couldn't wait to test it out. My son and I trailered it about a hour away, to meet up with some friends that would running up river about forty miles from us. It had been raining off and on last couple hours, so we thought we would wait it out. After waiting for about a hour and a half, we went for it. Sky's were still grey, but looked like they were getting lighter, in direction we were going. Man, I pumped the peddle a couple times and she fired up. Dialed base idle in and off we went. Man this is cool, wow, what a difference! We hauled ass down river to Peoria (IL) to meet up with the friends on their way back up river. About 1/2 way down, we came across a 40ft cruiser, that had HUGE wake off the rear. Slowed the boat up abit and adjusted bow up and went thru. Caught a little air crossing that one. Other than the cruiser, the water was like glass, really nice. About 3 miles further down river, the son says we're taking on water on the starboard side of the engine. Says it's coming out from were the starter would be. I didn't get up and look, but I could see it spraying a good amount. Thought we would turn around and haul ass back before anything got worse. Naturally, it started to rain, then the sky fell in. Holy shiatt, couldn't see 25 yards ahead. After about 45min in it, we got back to the ramp in Spring Valley IL. it was still down pouring. When I got it back on the trailer, there was a LOT of water in it. Is it possible I could have blown a freeze plug from the back of the small block Chevy? Could the ramp loader have caused a freeze plug to pop? There isn't a regulating valve on the cooling lines. Sorry to be so long, I'm soaked, BORED (cooped up, watching it still rain) and pissed.
    After it all, my 11 year old son says: "Man, that was soo cool, that boat is awesome! Thanks dad"
    Thats what its all about.

OverKill
    It seems to me it could be one of 2 things.
    1) yes maybe a freeze plug fell out and that will bring on water faster than you know what.
    2) What really caught my eye is, when you cought air off that wake than came down then noticed the leak. That could mean you blew a bowl gasket. How that happens is the pump is still loaded with pressure then slaming all that weight can blow a bowl gasket.
    Best way to describe it is take a drinking straw and a patato, put your point fingure over one end of the straw, and slam the straw to the patato, and it will go right through. All because of pressure.
    Also if you don't have one already, get one. A flexable mirror, it's a great tool to use to see if you did blow a freeze plug, and other things you can't see.
    OverKill

My son told me that, he did notice that when I trimmed the bow up , the water seemed to stop coming out of the side of the engine, and did come out with the bow down.. I did throttle down when we launched and didn't throttle back up till after we were in the water a second or so. Could I see the "bowl gasket" looking thru the loader, blown or intact? It's a 12JE pump. Is a bowl gasket hard to change on a 12JE?

sanger rat
    Your leak could be anywhere. The fkywheel is kicking to water up to the pass. side making you think it's comming from there.

IMPATIENT 1
    Your leak could be anywhere. The fkywheel is kicking to water up to the pass. side making you think it's comming from there.
    i agree, ya need to take it to the ramp full of gas, back it down till its afloat and really inspect everything for leaks. could be a list of things, its not something you can just guess at.if no major leaks are found, start it up and run it for a bit. something will show up.

OverKill
    You can see the gasket if you have a set back pump. Here is picture of mine it is a 12jb. You can see the gasket in between the bowl and the intake. Take a look and tell me if you can see what I'm talking about.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0041.JPG

That's a good Idea, I will take it to the ramp as soon as it stops raining. Just seems weird, that the 1st time its been run after the changes, that this happens. Didn't leak prior to the changes. Unfortunately we didn't notice a leak prior to the jump. If it is a blown bowl gasket, how is water able to enter the boat? I've seen the exploded view on the Berkley site. Overkill, I do see the gasket between, but I don't understand how that allows water in the boat.

BRAWNY
    have you checked your water lines for any cracks/splits?
    did you check tomake sure water lines are still connected?
    let us know what you find. BRAWNY

BRAWNY
    can you hook the water hose to it,just turn the water on (without starting)
    and see if you can find your leak.good luck.BRAWNY

cave
    i agree, ya need to take it to the ramp full of gas, back it down till its afloat and really inspect everything for leaks. could be a list of things, its not something you can just guess at.if no major leaks are found, start it up and run it for a bit. something will show up.
    This is what I would do. It may be the connections for the snails that are leaking or the gaskets that connect all those items together. They may have been jared loose. Or a small leak from your inlet side of the cooling system.
    My bowl gasket sits right on the edge of a perfect seal and i hit rough water all the time and have yet to pop the seal. But you never know. Check it on the trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast