Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How bad are the older Chevy Blazers?

pw_Tony
    But mine's lifted so that could be the problem. Horrible gas mileage, does an hones 10mpg, probably cause of the tires though. But other than that the interior has held up real well with leather and what not.
    http://i14.tinypic.com/5y2drow.jpg

jh4rt
    Hi Tom.
    You don't know me, although (from lurking) I feel as if I know you.
    Meanwhile, I owned one of these blazers. It was the second biggest POS I ever owned (and I have owned a lot of cars including a BMW). The only vehicle I owned which was more problematic/full of recalls was a '93 ford mustang. (I actually traded the mustang for the blazer in 96). I traded the blazer back in for a suburban in 98.
    So... my advice is to stay away from the blazer.
    --humbly.
    Jim

rrrr
    Jeezus, TOM!!!! Every day that goes by I get closer to the grave. I don't need you telling me that a 1999 vehicle is OLDER!!!
    Mmmmmk??

Pussywhippled
    I had a 99' I sold about a year ago.
    And I regret selling it everyday...

Tom Brown
    So... my advice is to stay away from the blazer.
    Thank you for the advice, Jim.
    Many others share your sentiments. It strikes me a good winter truck but if it's broken all the time, it's of little value to me.
    I've got a couple more days to think about it.

Sherpa
    crimany,
    99 is an "old" blazer..........
    I thought you wanted info on like a 72 or something.....
    anything GM late 90's is gonna have intank fuel pump/fuel guage sending unit issues, freon got changed in those years.
    700r4 trans were crap. NP belt-drive transfer cases die, (not from over-use,
    but from just driving... the sun gear/planetaries wear out)
    anything IFS front 4x4 is crap. period.
    be ready for a new cat at some point. emissions were pretty decent though.
    --Sherpa

Tom Brown
    I don't need you telling me that a 1999 vehicle is OLDER!!!
    I thought all the ballers in here lease a new Enzo every year.
    I keep my vehicles for a long time. Hell, I keep them almost as long as Rexone keeps his shit.

Kachina26
    intake manifolds leak too. Just remember though, I saw the worst of the worst working at the dealer.

Tom Brown
    This guy wanted to give me a spare transmission and transfer case he has kicking around in his shed as part of the deal. He used to have two of these trucks but totalled one off and kept some parts from it for the day he might need them. He has a spare set of wheels too, which I told him I would take with the truck.
    I told him I wasn't interested in drive train components. I'm still not. If it needs that stuff, I need to pass.
    My brother put 600K Kms on a '92 Ford Explorer that he basically abandoned last year because it wouldn't pass a safety inspection (terrible rust). He had to replace the intake manifold gasket three times and u-joints twice but that seems pretty minor, repair wise, for that many years. Of course, he doesn't have all the luxury options on it, either.

MADDOG355
    Tom some of the mid 90's Blazers had a major electrical problem (I beleve it was related to the new harness and computer for the TPI 4.3). From what I understand these problemes normally surfaced pretty early and were repaired under warranty.
    As for the 4x4 system they are pretty good if used regularly the solinoids (sp) normally hold up well. The CV problems are normally related to operator error. The 4x4 must be engaged BEFORE the truck is stuck so it can enguage (sp) smoothly (it even says this in the manual!), The problem occers when the truck is already immobile the you try to shift into 4wheel drive and apply the throttle and it shock loads the CV joints. (Kinda like dumping the clutch at 3,000 rpms).
    Now for steering. Check the pitman and idler(sp) arms these are the normal culprits and not that expensive.
    Hope this helps some Tom

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast