Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wacky Chevy Gauges?

fourspeednup
    04 chevy 1/2 ton crew 5.3 64K miles
    About a year ago my tach started reading funky but now a few others have been acting up and it's starting to annoy me. Oil pressure pegged at what would be 140, sometimes fuel doesn't come off "E" when there is over 3/4 tank....even though range read correct....and what finally got me was last week when the speedo read 30mph high. Had me scared for a second when I realized people were flying by when I was doing "90"
    I see there are a few chevy techs around here, any ideas. Been thinking about swapping in an escalade cluster anyway but want to get this issue dealt with. Not being able to see oil press. has me a little put off

OCMerrill
    My 04 2500 HD's speedo has a mind of it's own. Its just the speedo on my truck (so far) ans the odo is correct even when the needle is reading 120 mph while I am going 30.
    I need to take it in but right now it's ok. I am going to list the truck for sale soon. I am sure it will wait to happen again during a test drive.

HitIt
    This is common in chevy's and happened to mine too. First speedo, then a few others, cant remember which. I was going to get a new cluster but they are freakin expensive and I didnt want the same thing to happen to the new one. There is a guy on ebay that fixes all of the problems with your cluster and all of the other known issues that would cause you to have problems in the future. UI sent mine to him and also got him to swap the backgrounds out for the white faced SS guages and add a trans temp guage. All for under $200. Let me know if you want me to dig up his contact info.

HitIt
    Ok, dug up the contact info anyway. His seller name on ebay is "speedometer repair service" Here is a link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...678QQihZ014QQi temZ330151909339QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) to one of his auctions. His price has gone up a little but it is well worth it. DO NOT buy a new cluster and do get all of the sterppers/bulbs replaced. I would just get the works done. If you dont have a trans temp gauge, add $50 and you get one plus a little more bling if you want it(SS/Denali/Escalade). Jeezus, I sound like a freakin advertisement. I was just really happy with the service/price.
    BTW: This guy is really fast.

HALLETT BOY
    Chevy parts dept also sells a reman unit, if your not comfortable using someone on e bay....

IMPATIENT 1
    you've gotta buy it from the dealership and have it programmed to match your truck, only the dealer can program it. it you stick in another trucks cluster, its gonna set a security code and not start anymore the cluster cost @340bucks and most dealers are charging @11/5-2hrs labor for replacing it and reprogramming it. i've already done 2 clusters today

HitIt
    Chevy parts dept also sells a reman unit, if your not comfortable using someone on e bay....
    For what its worth, the person on ebay has several thousand happy customers (including me) and 100% positive feedback. A lot of guys on the Chevy message boards have used him too. If you are still a skeptic you must have had some really bad stuff happen to you.
    Plus, you dont have to have it reprogrammed by a dealer.

HitIt
    i've already done 2 clusters today
    Which truly pisses me off. Gauges that fail within a few years are totally unacceptable. FU for not taking care of your customers Chevy. This should be fixed for free even if you are out of warranty. Same with the steering issues that have finally been addressed that have been going on since 99. Can you pass the word along? :jawdrop:

Kachina26
    you've gotta buy it from the dealership and have it programmed to match your truck, only the dealer can program it. it you stick in another trucks cluster, its gonna set a security code and not start anymore the cluster cost @340bucks and most dealers are charging @11/5-2hrs labor for replacing it and reprogramming it. i've already done 2 clusters today
    Those were good money for sure.
    Plus, you dont have to have it reprogrammed by a dealer.
    Wow, that's news to me, but what do I know, I just worked there for 14-15 years.
    Which truly pisses me off. Gauges that fail within a few years are totally unacceptable. FU for not taking care of your customers Chevy. This should be fixed for free even if you are out of warranty. Same with the steering issues that have finally been addressed that have been going on since 99. Can you pass the word along? :jawdrop:
    I agree completely, was really tough knowing you were installing the same problem that you just took out.

HitIt
    What the hell are you talking about? I think we may have a bit of a misunderstanding.
    I took my cluster out of my truck. Sent it to the guy that replaced the stepper motors. He sent it back and I put it back in. What am I missing? (or were our wires crossed?)
    And by the way, the FU was in no way pointed towards anyone here, just at chevy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast