Thread: Need A Puke Tank!

N/AZZ502
    Took my boat out last Friday and after a good 4700 to 5000rpm run @ 86MPH for about 2 to 3 min. I noticed oil spray all over my freshly polished valve covers and all over my headers and bilge interior. I have dual breathers(one on each side) towards the front and this is the first time they have done this to me. I am running a ZZ502 with aluminum marine heads and it is a full roller motor running 8.6:1. I watched the guages(oil temp,vac.,water temp.,oil pressure and the only indicater was the drop in the oil pressure.) but not a horrible drop just lower than normal @ idle. Do you think after that long run I may have aerated the oil enough and build too much crankcase pressure? Any ideas? I have about 60hrs on the motor. Would you guys maybe suggest a puke tank? Is there any plumbing diagrams out there for the puke tanks?:idea:

Longstr
    I think if you have a hi flow oil pump you may be sucking your pan dry... on long runs....my 2 cents

Duane HTP
    That's just your typical 502. Run it hard for a while, it's going to blow some oil. Put a vacu/pan set up on it and be done with the problem. Moroso makes them and Jegs sells them.
    The oil pressure probably went down a little because you heated up your oil.

victorfb
    what oil and which weight are you running in that zz502?
    good advice on the evac system or atleast one breather with a pcv valve system to the carb/intake. the oil gets hot and will lose preasure when running hard like that. take it easy and cool the oil when that happens. i run royal purple 5w30 in my zz502 and when i run it hard full throttle it will do the same thing. useually a good indicator to when i need an oil/filter change. and when i run full throttle and hear a lifter empty, i really baby it untill i go shopping for new oil. the tighter clearances that GM put on the zz502 recommends a good 5w30 oil. ive done the 10w40 with good success, but wouldnt go any higher.

N/AZZ502
    what oil and which weight are you running in that zz502?
    good advice on the evac system or atleast one breather with a pcv valve system to the carb/intake. the oil gets hot and will lose preasure when running hard like that. take it easy and cool the oil when that happens. i run royal purple 5w30 in my zz502 and when i run it hard full throttle it will do the same thing. useually a good indicator to when i need an oil/filter change. and when i run full throttle and hear a lifter empty, i really baby it untill i go shopping for new oil. the tighter clearances that GM put on the zz502 recommends a good 5w30 oil. ive done the 10w40 with good success, but wouldnt go any higher.
    Maybe there in lies my issue...I am running 6qts 20w50 and 2qts 5w30(10qt pan) all royal purple. It could be I am running to heavy of oil? earlier in the motors break in it was running kendall 20w50. I will be changing the filter and oil in the evening 2morrow for sure and go with royal purple 5w30. looking into a evac system but will wait till late fall when the boat will be down for the season. I am going to pull the valve covers at that time and see if the baffles are in tact.