Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are Olds 455 that bad?

mark49
    Just had my 21' Hondo completely rebuilt, as i picked up the engine he said just keep that old Olds under 4000 RPM same from the installer...
    ItÂ’s completely rebuilt 1973 Olds 455, what makes the Olds that much inferior to lets say the Chevy 455?
    Mark

Liberator TJ1984
    455 Olds are very reliable , just not at the higher RPM's . not an olds guy but I believe it have alot to do with the oiling system ? other than that lot's of people running them down here trouble free for the most part ....

Sleek-Jet
    Your best bet would be to ask this down in one of the tech forums...
    But the cliff notes version is the Olds doesn't have an optimum oiling system... at high rpms a stock olds will pump all the oil to the heads and starve the lower end... instant spun bearing...
    There are a few easy fixes, but even then, the Olds isn't a high rpm screamer, unless you want to spend a little money.
    If you want a cruiser, the Olds will do just fine...

SB
    It's a good engine, but at high rpm it pumps oil to the top and leaves the bottom of the engine without oil. This can be improved with restrictors, drainbacks, etc.
    Do a search in Just Jets, it's all there.

BrendellaJet
    Im pretty sure the olds has monster main and rod bearings compared to the chevy. The motor can be made to run, howeverZ(unfortunately) since its already been rebuilt some of the work will be tough to do without a partial disassembly. If you are willing to take the heads off for a minor machining operation a couple of areas that need work can be addressed.

Faceaz
    All the above. Basically the Olds has a really wide V in the block & the oil doesn't drain back to the pan very well. I had an old eliminator with the olds, after blowing the engine 3 times I found the following was a good comination:
    1) Use a stock oil pump - not a high flow.
    2) Use a 12 quart pan.
    3) Use restrictors in the push rods, to keep more oil down low.
    After I made these changes, the engine ran good till I sold it 2 years later. Good luck.

RVRKID
    We have been very lucky with our Olds (Knock on Wood). We bought our Kona in 1971 with the Olds and I ski'd behind it Fathers day in Parker (235LBS) with no problem. We have never touched the inside of the motor, new carb, plugs and fuel pump is about all for the power plant, andit is stil running pretty strong. Took it to Lake Almanor last summer and Powell the year before and she still is a turn key boat. Everyone that I have known personally that have done anything to there Olds never had it run the same again. They ended up wrenching on it every or every other trip. So we are afraid to do anything.

'75 Miller
    Pretty much "what they said". If I remember correctly, the holes in the heads for the oil to drain back down to the bottom end are small and aren't positioned particularly well. If possible, pull a valve cover and check 'em out. realoldspower.com is a site dedicated to olds fanatics and has tons of useful info.
    You might try sending a pm to "oldguy" here on ***boat. He's modified his olds and had good results.

TahitiTiger
    I myself run the 455 as well. I have oil retrictors in the main journels, restricted cam bearings, restricted push rods, and an oiling jet for the cam. I run it up to 5k all the time (that is where I have the rev-bisquit). I also have a 12 quarts pan and a high preasure low volume oil pump. This engine is on its 3rd year of reliable operation. I filled it once with water, and that was my own dumb fault. :cry: Emptied the water out, new gaskets, still running like a champ Very resiliant engine if you ask me.

HM
    You guys put a lot of work into making a turd spin 5000 RPM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast