Thread: Moving to DETROIT area.

Blueoval
    Hello folks
    I'm moving (OCT 31) to the Detroit area, "Romeo" Michigan (I work for FORD MOTOR COMPANY).
    I'm from Lake Havsu city, I send almost every weekend on the lake and down in Parker on the river.. My back ground boating is Superstocks, K-boats, and Gn's.. I have a 21' V-bottom V-drive, that I use as my lake boat...
    My question is what lakes/rivers around the Detroit area are like Havasu or Parker??? I'm not talking the crazy part of Havasu!! I'm talking about any V-drive or Jets,,, people I could hook up with and spend the summers hitting up lakes with??
    Looking forward to meeting new folks!!!
    Cheers

sanger rat
    Not sure why but most Michigan people post in the Central section. Keep an eye on the Michigan***boats.com website for the 2008 events. Welcome.

Wet Dream
    There a little body of water known as Lake Erie that you can check out. Its not hard to find, just drive east.

DelawareDave
    Why in the hell would anyone in their right mind want to move to the Detroit area? I understand it is fast becoming a ghost town. I was up there on business about 10 years ago, and one area I went thru looked like the remains of a bombed out city. Block after block of abandoned buildings, or entire city blocks of dirt where everything was plowed under. It wasn't like that when I left Detroit in 1987.
    I go there once every couple of years to visit friends and family, but that is about it.
    Oh- if you want a hook-up on a Harley, let me know. A good friend of mine is in the business in the western suburbs.

DetroitJim
    Blueoval, you will go through some slight culture shock and some major weather shock your first winter here. You will also find out that the Detroit area has a huge gearhead culture and will see some amazing things in the Ford world and elsewhere. There are thousands of lakes in Michigan and thousands of miles of coastline. Romeo is close to Lake St. Clair, which I would be glad to give you a tour of. The season is only from May to September but there are other things to do the rest of the year.
    The worst thing you will have to deal with is the negativity and put downs from people that don't live here. Detroit is going through a regrowth period that will surprise you, and the suburban area is a lot nicer than most places.
    DJ

Blueoval
    Blueoval, you will go through some slight culture shock and some major weather shock your first winter here. You will also find out that the Detroit area has a huge gearhead culture and will see some amazing things in the Ford world and elsewhere. There are thousands of lakes in Michigan and thousands of miles of coastline. Romeo is close to Lake St. Clair, which I would be glad to give you a tour of. The season is only from May to September but there are other things to do the rest of the year.
    The worst thing you will have to deal with is the negativity and put downs from people that don't live here. Detroit is going through a regrowth period that will surprise you, and the suburban area is a lot nicer than most places.
    DJ
    Thanks for the good out-look on my move... This move is'nt my idea.. Ford has a proving grounds out here in Arizona, but they just sold it to Chrysler.. Ford is moving some of us to the Michigan proving grounds up in Romeo.. I'm not looking to move to Romeo, but instead some-where in the middle of Romeo and Dearborn... I'm looking at Shelby-township and others..??. If you know of place to live let me know!?!??!?!
    Being close to a lake or river is the main thing on my mind!!! Any help from you or others will be a huge help!!! I guess I better get out my snowboard??
    thanks for the heads up!!
    cheers

DetroitJim
    Romeo and Dearborn are a long way apart with a lot of traffic between. Where will you be spending the most time? You really can't go both places in one regular work day.
    The northern suburbs are generally newer and nicer than the west side (my opinion), closer to Lake St. Clair and an easier shot to go "up north" on the weekends. You will do fine in Shelby, Utica, Sterling Heights or Rochester / Troy. If you want a big garage, check the codes first. I wish I had.
    You will be amazed at how much house you can buy for under 300K!
    If Dearborn is going to be a regular destination, don't get a house too far north and east or you'll hate the drive.
    Shoot me a PM for more info.
    DJ

Blueoval
    Romeo and Dearborn are a long way apart with a lot of traffic between. Where will you be spending the most time? You really can't go both places in one regular work day.
    The northern suburbs are generally newer and nicer than the west side (my opinion), closer to Lake St. Clair and an easier shot to go "up north" on the weekends. You will do fine in Shelby, Utica, Sterling Heights or Rochester / Troy. If you want a big garage, check the codes first. I wish I had.
    You will be amazed at how much house you can buy for under 300K!
    If Dearborn is going to be a regular destination, don't get a house too far north and east or you'll hate the drive.
    Shoot me a PM for more info.
    DJ
    DJ
    From the looks of it, the HR person has me in Romeo at the Michigan Proving Grounds. I was looking for something in the middle of Romeo and Dearborn (Just in case I have too be in Dearborn for a day or so).
    I'll be looking to rent for the first 6-months-1-year. A house with a 3-4car garage boat deep is a must!!!! I'll be bringing two boats (both Halletts and 3 vehicles one pro street pick-up)..
    I've seen a few house's that fit my request's but I need to take my work trip before I pick a place!! My trip should be around Labor day weekend!!
    Thanks for the help!! I'll be sure and look you up when I make my move!!!
    thanks
    cheers