Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16 amp on drag motors

Cole
    i have two 2.5 drag motors with 16 amp alternaters...has anyone put the bigger alternater on these motors...will it work?? and how will affect performance???i heard the alien cowlings dont fit over them!!!Cole

kab
    I don't think its the cowlings that wont work. The new 2.5's and 300x's have the bigger alternator with the alien style cowlings. If you make it work with the bigger alternator let me know I have the same 2.5 drag motors and would love to change them out.

kab
    Cole- I just got done talkling to Eric Simon at simonmotorsports.com in San diego he told me that he is currently working on a bracket to put the 60 amp alternators on the 2.5 drag motors, but you have to have the alein style cowlings. The bracket should be finish in a month or so. You will run a little slower. What size boat are you running the drag motors on??

Cole
    Kab that is too cool..thanks for checking on that for me!!! the motors are going on a 26 daytona and they are the alien cowlings...i wonder how much slower it would run??? it really wouldn't matter if i lost a couple mphs if i dont have to worry about charging these things every night!!!
    Cole

kab
    Not real sure about the speed. Maybe a 1-2 mph's not bad. I'm definelty going to put the 60 amp's on my boat when Eric get the bracket done. I charge my batteries every night right now, would be nice not to have to worry about charging them all the time.

Boatmaster
    Hey Kab I got a line on a pair of 28 ets if your interested?

kab
    Its about time Boatmaster Yes I definelty interested in picking up a set of 28 E.T.s.

Cole
    we'll after talking to Eric(your not going to believe this)he was the guy who has been maintaining these motors....and with a little clarification i found out there 2.5 280 hp w/ A-48 drag boxes with 34cc heads. they have offshore shorties which i am going to see if they will work on my 26 daytona(he sayes they probably wont work)too short. now.... he wants to do a trade..my offshore shorties for offshore 20" and install them for me!! he said he would also bore the snouts from the stock of 33/8 to 33/4.all of this straight across trade...is this a fair trade?????? Cole

Boatmaster
    Sounds like a fair trade to me if the motors are the same year or newer? Kab those props are not mine but I can get them for 1500 for the pair. If you want them I will need to know soon or they will be gone! Still have those 28cleavers and 26ets.

kab
    Are the props new on the box?? Are they in good condition? Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast